Newly opened green pool -need to backwash filter every hour?

suz414

May 7, 2013
I just had my pool opening today (in-ground, DE filter). My water is dark-green, as it usually is when opening. Is it normal for me to have to backwash my filter & change my DE every hour while he water is this dark? It seems every 45mins-1 hour, the PSI gets high (or gets extremely low as the pump isn't drawing much water). Back washing fixes it, but then I have to do it all again every hour. I just want to make sure this is ok & that I'm not hurting anything. Thanks!

Re: Newly opened green pool -need to backwash filter every h

Welcome to the forum. :lol: Yes, it is common. Your water is filled with a lot of junk and your filter is catching it. As you continue shocking, the time between backwashes will increase as the water gets cleaner.

You are shocking, correct?

Welcome to tfp, suz414 :wave:

By the way, we recommend backwashing when you filter pressure goes up 25% from the clean filter pressure. You don't really want the filter to get so dirty the flow is greatly reduced. What is your clean pressure reading?

It might be a little easier to put the filter in recirculate mode until all the algae is dead and on the floor of the pool. Then you can vacuum to waste. Hopefully this will save a lot of DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.