Shock In Bag with No TriChlor! Does It Exist?

Apr 23, 2013
From now on I'm using just Bleach & Liquid Chlorine due to a CYA reading of 122.
I already know I'm going to have the drain half the pool to get that down. My question is, Do they make any Shock in Package Form (granules) without TriChlor & Conditioners?
I would like to also use the Shock Packets.
Thanks in advance.

Yes, there is Calcium Hypochlorite, but much like any chemical it has it's benefits and it's drawbacks, namely that Calcium Hypochlorite increase Calcium Hardness levels in swimming pools, great if your source water has low CH like mine, CalHypo is a better sanitiser than bleach round these parts because of this, not so in hard water areas where the fill water already has high CH, best way to figure it out is test your tap water to see what effect it has on your pool then you'll know if it will work for you or not.

250-350ppm for you but test your source water first before going out and buying some! If your filling with CH higher than what your at it will rise itself, Calcium Hypo is very useful when CH of your fill water is sub 100ppm, otherwise mabey not so.....

Over-riding message test your fill water first and post up

Lithium hypochlorite is a granular form of chlorine that does not contain CYA, nor add anything else to the pool other than salt at a rate of [s:3rnswddb]0.8[/s:3rnswddb] 1.6 PPM for every 1 PPM FC.

The downside is that it is very expensive. It costs, from what I've seen, around 3-5x as much for each oz of NaClO compared to liquid chlorine (bleach).

edit: poolcalculator.com claims lithium-hypo adds salt at a rate of 1.6 PPM / 1 PPM FC, I'll have to double-check on this

edit2: chem geek backups up poolcalculator's numbers in this post

I guess the Liquid is the Ticket then.
My Chlorine went down this week to 1.5 from 6.5 last week.
These are Store Tests so I know they are not accurate.
But I'm seeing some Algae by Stairs & Ladders and I'm worried.
Should I Shock it? And if so, how many gallons of Bleach is it going to take, since my Pool has a CYA of 133 & the Pool is 28,000 Gallons?
I have not received my Test Kit yet, so I need good advice.
Thanks again.

Wasn't this covered in your other thread?

You certainly need to go through the shock PROCESS, but that is difficult without a proper test kit.

Read Pool School ... and use poolcalculator.com to determine how much bleach you need to add ... 12 large jugs of bleach would get you up to shock level, but it may not stay there for long

You already know you need to drain the pool. You also know that you need to have accurate test results to properly dose your pool.

With that said, head over to poolcalculator.com and play around with the numbers.
According to the guidelines, you need an FC of 30-71 to shock a pool at 133 CYA.

Assuming you have 0 FC in your pool presently, that means you'll need somewhere between 6.5 and 15 gallons of 12.5% liquid chlorine just to get you to shock level. You will need even more chlorine added to maintain shock level. I would suggest waiting for the test kit and draining your pool first unless you want to have a flatbed truck bring you a delivery of liquid chlorine to complete this task.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.