A bonding question I don't see asked elsewhere

gboulton

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
Nashville, TN
Our AGP appears to have a...unique?...construction.

• The metal pool legs to not form a reliable connection to the pool wall. Due to paint, gaps, etc.[/*:m:3ei4088n]
  • Atop the pool legs is a plastic bracket, to which the metal railing and metal "ring" around the top of the wall is attached.[/*:m:3ei4088n]

This means:

• None of the 16 railing pieces are "connected" to anything else.[/*:m:3ei4088n]
  • None of the 16 legs are "connected" to anything else.[/*:m:3ei4088n]
  • The pool wall isn't connected to legs or railings.[/*:m:3ei4088n]

So...am I understanding correctly here that to properly bond this pool, I'm going to need 36 lugs? 1 for each leg, 1 for each rail, and 4 equally spaced around the pool wall?

:shock:

Bond the bottom track,remember your not grounding the pool wall.When I installed My pool the manufacturer recommended I use Aluminum tape on the bottom of the wall touching the metal track and use an aluminum clip in the bottom track (also touching the tape,clip looks like a check mark) to which the bonding lug attached to.Each piece of tape is 4" long with half the tape inside the pool wall half out side pool wall.Think of the tape folded length ways and stuck to the bottom of pool wall.

Call the manufacturer get it in writing,do as it says,if questions arise at inspection time show the inspector your documentation.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The pool is already installed.

Can't get to the bottom track without digging out around the entire pool. It's buried between 2-14" beneath the surface.

Can you explain what you mean by "remember your not grounding the pool wall"? Does the NEC not say, rather specifically, that that is EXACTLY what's being bonded?

Your trying to bring everything to the same energy level look up "equipotential bonding" you'll get a better definition.

Call the manufacturer get it in writing,do as they say,if questions arise at inspection time show the inspector your documentation.

Hrm. Ok, perhaps I'm not understanding the definition.

I believe I'm trying to connect all "exposed metallic items not designed to carry current", and bring them to the same electrical potential, am I not?

That being the case :

I have, that I can see, 3 "exposed metallic items not designed to carry current".

Legs
Rails
Pool Walls

None of these 3 items are connected to any of the others.

Hence my question:

Is my understanding correct that I must attach all of these items together, so as to bond them?

To you point regarding the lower ring:

I suppose, upon consideration, I could dig to it at the base of 4 legs, without too much trouble. But that still doesn't solve my issue.

By definition, it does not bond the legs to the wall, otherwise I'd have continuity between legs and wall which I do not. So EVEN if I bonded the halo to the ring...so what? I haven't done anything to bring legs, wall, or railings to the same potential.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.