Second pump? What is this?

Apr 22, 2013
Hi all -

We bought a house with a pool that needs some serious help, since the previous owner didn't open it in over 9 years.

While My childhood home had a pool, this configuration is quite different than what Im used to. For some reason, it seems this pool filter has two pumps. One of the pumps connects to the multiport and filter tank as usual. The other pump seems to have two 1" ID (or thereabout) hoses, which I imagine connect to the 1" barbs in this photo.

20130423_074320.jpg

One side appears to Tee into the filter inlet or outlet, but the other side goes into the ground. Any idea where this goes? I should also note that there is some kind of automatic vacuum system in my shed, which may have something to do with the second pump, however I dont know where it would attach.

Also, there is a small multiport (not pictured) that feeds the primary pump before the filter. Does this select between skimmer 1 and skimmer 2? Or more likely, does it select between the skimmers and the main drain?

Thanks guys.

duraleigh said:
Can you post a pic to include the second pump and the second multi-port?

I dont have any photos of the second pump, unfortunately. I believe it was a 1.5 HP, but no strainer basket like the primary pump. I also remember seeing some kind of PVC manifold in the shed. Like 1 in and 4 out, and again with roughly 1 inch ID tubing. Not sure if that would be part of the vacuum setup. Perhaps the house once had a roof-top solar heating system like many other houses in our neighborhood?

Anyway, here is the smaller multiport.
20130423_074257.jpg

Isaac-1 said:
Chances are the second pump is a booster pump for a pressure side cleaner

After a quick google image search, I believe you are correct. That looks like the beastie living in my shed. Any idea where the PVC that goes into the ground might be heading? I dont see any fittings or plates in the walls or sticking out of the ground.

Is your filter a sand or DE filter? I have the same multiport and a 24" stainless sand filter that looks the same, though I know they also made DE filters that had that same stainless look.

The reason I'm asking is, if it's a sand filter, then I think the multiport valve was installed backwards (rotated 180 deg). Here's a link to Pentair's multiport installation sheet and you can see in Fig 1 that for DE (grid) filters the backwash sight glass is supposed to face away from the filter, while for sand filters in Fig 2, the sight glass is supposed to face the filter. I think this is because these different filter types are reversed with regards to the inlet/outlet port locations and routing the water through the valve the wrong way will produce an unwanted reduction in flow.

If you have a DE filter, then it's fine the way it is.

gtemkin said:
Is your filter a sand or DE filter? If you have a DE filter, then it's fine the way it is.

Its DE. Its an american titan vertical grid filter (36 sq ft area). I dont suspect that anything was installed correctly, only that I dont know where everything is, or how it operates.

JasonLion said:
The pool side of the booster pump line was probably covered over the last time the pool was resurfaced. Your "smaller multiport" is what we call a three way valve.

My last pool did not have a main drain, so no need for a 3 way valve. I'm assuming the three way valve mixes with skimmers before supplying the pump intake.

As for covering up the pump line, I dont think thats the case. As you can see, the pool is rather undressed at the moment. But that mess is covered in another thread. :)

20130505_133401.jpg

Thanks guys. Ill keep looking for that pump line. But for now, I can probably just plug the filter side, no?

After poking around a bit, what do you know, the pressure side cleaner outlet was there. I finally found it hiding under a bit of folded over liner in the middle of the pool. I feel a little idiotic for not having spotted it before, but at least now I've got that piece of the puzzle figured out. Thanks for the help guys! Still not sure if I want to try and revive the cleaner or just block it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.