No Power to Intermatic Timer

jdp943

May 7, 2013
So, I moved into a house in January and it came with an inground pool and spa. One Hayward Northstar for the main pump and another one for the spa. It also had a polaris pump booster that has been determined to not work.

Anyway, the pool wasn't opened in a few years so we had it drained and cleaned. All equipment worked fine except the booster. Last weekend I manually vacuumed the pool and at the end I noticed that the pump was running loudly and the sand filter pressure was very low.

Looking around, I determined that this was likely due to a clogged impeller on the pump. So, yesterday I went about the task of cleaning out the impeller. When I got home from work, the pump was running as expected (although sluggishly) and I turned off the power using the manual switch on my intermatic timer. Then I turned the power off at the outside breaker. I took the back motor off of the pump and there was indeed a lot of debris in the impeller so I removed that.

Afterward, I put the pump back together, re-primed, turned the power on at the breaker, and then attempted to turn the pump on manually from the timer. Nothing happened. Not even a hum. I checked the main breaker in our house and the gfci outlet out by or breaker box and nothing was tripped. My girlfriend and I looked at every GFCI outlet in our house and none of those were tripped. We did reset the breaker to our pool both indoors and outside, however to be sure.

I used my multimeter to check the power on the breakers and they appeared to all be working. (They all registered ~120 volts). The secondary pump will still turn on, but the main one won't. I checked the intermatic timer and the timer is no longer moving either.

Tonight, I plan on using the multimeter on the wiring beneath the insulation in the timer but other than that I'm kind of at a loss.

Oh yeah, I also checked under the motor housing on the pump and everything appeared to be ok. A little debris here and there but it was pretty dry and there wasn't any corrosion that I could see. I didn't check to see if the capacitor had blown.

Any ideas?

Is the pump wire for 120V or 240V? I think it is fairly certain you do not have power to your timer, so I'd concentrate my efforts at the breaker.

I'd shut your pump breaker(s) off, then measure the load side of the breaker(s) for 0V, then again after turning the breaker(s) on to look for either 120V or 240V depending on how it is configured.

Ok, so my intermatic timer is a T104 so I believe it runs on 240 volts. So what I did, was I checked the breaker box again. There are two, 2 pole 120/240 volt breakers in the box and one 120 single that runs to a gfci outlet.

The outlet works.

I used my multimeter to test from each line on the 2 pole to ground and for the 2 pole breaker running to my secondary pump, I got 120 volts on one line and 19 volts from the other. Using my multimeter across both lines yields 0 volts when I expected 240.

The same test done on the 2 pole breaker running to my timer box yields 120 volts from both lines to ground and again 0 between them. I also tested the two lines on my timer (1 and 3) to ground and they both came back as 120 volts. That should be ~240 shouldn't it?

So, I'm thinking in this situation that I have two bad breakers then? Does that make sense or have I interpreted something wrong here?

Line to ground will always be 120V. You need to measure line to line to get 240.

The line that measures 19V has a problem. Try toggling it on and off.

Well when I measured line to line on the breakers and on the timer lines I switched to 600v AC on the multimeter and got a reading of zero each time. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Well, it sounds like I did it correctly then. 2-pole, 2 hot wires, (1 black, 1 red) screwed down on the 2 pole breaker adjacent to each other. Separate green wire goes to ground. Touching the terminals of the multimeter to the screws tying down the black and red wire give me a voltage reading of zero. From the red or black to ground gives me 120/120 for the breaker leading to the timer and 120/19 to the secondary pump. Timer not moving and can't turn pump on.

Couldn't be going from one breaker to the other as there are only three and they're across from each other, not in a vertical column.

Perhaps I should consult an electrician....I might be in over my head.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the help. I'll update when I find out what's going on. I'm assuming it's either a breaker issue, or maybe the timer itself. The timer is about 13 years old so we'll see if I'm on the mark or completely off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.