Thinking of adding borates

jdfrye

Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
thinking of doing this since I have to brush sides of the pool for small dollar size spots of green algae few times a week. I keep my FC at 5. My problem is my fill water from the tap is 140 TA . Currently I have to drop the pH level from 7. 8 to 7.6 once a week with acid. This sounds normal, am I right? I have the water in the pool down to 120 TA. I also made some homemade aerator's. Am I fighting a battle I cannot win? Do I really need to have my pool down to 80 TA to do the Borates? should I just forget adding Borates?

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

[attachment=0:7iegi2jj]20130506_183127.jpg[/attachment:7iegi2jj]lets say i do the shocking of my pool..
what about the TA level I have and the fill water ....is this a uphill battle? will I always be trying to lower my TA? my water is crytal clear like it always is

Attachments

• 20130506_183127.jpg
    20130506_183127.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 75

my water is crytal clear like it always is
If you have algae, I would not call that crystal clear. Your last post is a bit confusing....TA and your fill water have nothing to do with the need to shock your pool.

Borates is an optional item that many (including me) never use nor intend to.

If it was my pool, I would focus on removing the algae (you need more chlorine) and perhaps address the borates issue down the road.

so sorry for me confusing my issue,
i guess I'm asking>
1) I have not be able to meet the SWG suggested TA of 60-80 since i will always be filling my pool with 140 TA (tap)levels.
If I do Borates do I have to be in the 60-80 TA levels?

You can still lower your TA to the 60-80 level if you like. See the article in Pool School.

You do not have to have it at that level to use borates but it is a suggested level to achieve the best buffering benefits of borates.

I have always thought of borates as something to try AFTER all the other parameters in your pool are within the guidelines we suggest so, in effect, yes, you need to be at 60-80 TA to effectively benefit from borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.