Filter / Pump Recommendation

Jun 11, 2007
I am looking to replace a filter / pump for an in ground pool and looking for recommendations on models / sizes etc. The pool is ~36K gallons has 2 skimmer and 3 return lines (back to pool). I currently have 1.5 piping to pool with a Jacuzzi 1hp pump and tri-clops filter, a Heat Siphon (electric heater) and Pool Pilot salt chlorinator. The far end of the pool (skimmer / return) is approx. 60-70 feet away.

I'm not overly fond of the effort to clean the cartridges (although we only clean it 3x a season.)

Any thoughts or recommendations.

Thanks!

A 1hp 2-speed might work very well for you....saving some very good money on low speed. Each type of filter has pros and cons. If you don't like cleaning the carts, a sand filter probably is the simplest to maintain.

I really like my Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump - super quiet and much more energy efficient than 2 speed motors and fully adjustable with built in timer. My pump is in a small shed, but I would worry if the digital control on the unit was not somewhat protected. I have always had a sand filter, but I use zeolite rather than sand because it filters down to a smaller particle size. I am happy with it, but have nothing to compare. Here is an article on 2 speed vs. variable speed energy savings.

http://www.cbpools.net/thetruthabout2speedpumps.pdf

Thanks for the feedback. I'm really considering a sand filter, but not sure of the size - the Hayward Pro Series side mount -- but not sure if I should go with 30 or 36 inch? Any advice on sizing of sand filter. Is this Hayward model good or should I look at another model?

(mentioned earlier - I have IG 36K pool (true L) 2 skimmers and 3 return lines. The far end (skimmer and return line) is 60 feet from pump - also using a auto-pilot sc60 salt chlorinator.

In terms of pumps, a previous post suggested a 1HP - 2 speed. (their actually hard to find). Should I stick w/ 1 HP or go with a 1.5 HP. Also -- I may put solar panel back up on roof (took them down to replace roof) -- the roof is 2 stories high and I had 6 panel 4x12. I was thinking of a Hayward Super Pump 2 Speed Pool Pump - but not sure if I should go w/ different model --

Any specific models, brands sizes suggestions are appreciated.

For 36k pool our sand filter size recommendation would be 6.7 sqft (35") ... so I would go with the 36" behemoth.

Off the top of my head there are 1HP Superflo and Whisperflo and Super Pumps and Super II Pumps that are 2-speed. Not sure why you think they are hard to find.

The Superflo and Super Pump are more designed for the 1.5" plumbing that it sounds like you have.

There is also a Super Pump VS pump as a possibility (not sure how the initial $ compares to the 2-speed though).

Thanks. Another question -- on the 36in filter -- I was talking to a local installer this evening - he was mentioning to go with a 24 or 26 inch sand - something about the 1.5 in piping and not being able to adequately backwash a bigger filter ... something about the gpm / pressure... -- anything to that?

He did recommend the 1 HP 2 speed... Also on the pump -- are the models different based on 110 or 220, or is it able to handle both... I think I am 220 -but would need to confirm.

I think both those 2 speeds are only 230v.

Not sure about the filter being too big. It will certainly still be backwashed to some extent though.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes both are 230v.

As for backwashing, the 36" could require up to 106 GPM (15 GPM/sq-ft) which would be difficult for either pump to produce. However, I am of the mind set that if a particular flow rate made the filter dirty, it should only take a little more flow rate to get it clean. So as long as you don't have a long backwash pipe that has more head loss than the return pipe, you should be ok.

BTW, what size is your cartridge filter?

Cartridges are usually more efficient than a sand filter because of the backwash valve and you don't have to worry about backwash flow rates.

thanks. I currently have a Jacuzzi tri-clops, which has 450 sq in? coverage. Fortunately, nothing died yet so still have some time. I'm now leaning towards the larger 5030 Hayward cartridge and the 2 stage pump.

Another question, I am getting a lot of air in the pump (see in strainer) and then into filter. The water is high in the skimmers not pulling air. The cover is tight etc. Where is the air coming from?

thanks

Most likely the pump lid but it could also be the drain plugs. A tight cover doesn't mean that it won't leak air. Did you use any pool lube on the lid gasket?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.