FC level for swimming

Apr 24, 2013
Hello all,

Thanks for the site. You have helped a newbie who inherited a pool with a home purchase turn a green swamp into a crystal clear swimming pool. I started with ugly green water and now have clear water with the below results:
FC - 6
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
TA - 120
CH - 70
CYA - 45

Anyway, I realize that my results are good, or maybe I should say I believe they are from what I think I've learned so far. But, I'd like to understand FC levels a little more. I remember when I was younger, my friend's mom always made us wait 24 hours after shocking the pool before swimming. I never understood why but just accepted it as fact. Now that I've learned a little about pool maintenance, I assume that was due to the high level of chlorine. Is this a correct assumption? If so, at what Shock level percentage for FC is one okay to swim, or was this a myth and can one swim at any high level of FC?

Likely there was little understanding of the FC to CYA relationship ... and no accurate testing being done (there kits probably only went up to 5ppm).

Once the chemicals are mixed (~1 hour), they will not be dangerous.

You are safe to swim when:
1. FC > minimum for your CYA
2. FC < shock level for your CYA
3. CC at or < 0.5
4. Water is clear
5. pH is in range (for comfort)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.