Newbie with Cloudy Pool

jewing

May 5, 2013
ok, so I am very frustrated and looking to this forum to help me based on all I have read in other posts. We opened up our pool about 3 weeks ago and it was clear just dirt on the bottom. But once we added shock and salt it turned cloudy. It became a pretty blue but has been that way for almost 3 weeks. Last week we went to the pool store and they said we had a chlorine demand so we shocked it with 22lbs of granular shock. Then they said we didn't have any stabilizer so we added 2 jugs of stabilizer. Then they said we needed to use a clarifier. So all that was complete last friday which was 3 days ago. Pool is basically just now getting to the level of clarity it was a week ago before we did the shocking for the chlorine demand. I ordered a test kit but won't get it till Thursday. So I went back to the pool store and here are my readings. Should I do anything or wait for my test kit? I have a pool party in two weeks and need this pool cleared up. Also, since we opened up the pool we have had a lot of rain.

CYA = 45
Total Chlorine = 10
FC = 9.2
PH = 7.5
TA = 95
Adj TA = 81
CH = 199
Salt = 2800

I did the pool calculator but can't calculate the CC until I get my test kit. Should I go ahead and buy the 500 oz of bleach it recommends to get my shock level to 18 based on my CYA?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The problem is, the pool store test likely maxes out a 10ppm, so it could already be higher. (Some tests only go up to 5ppm).

Also, the CYA test is the one that the pool stores are historically the worst at, so I would not trust that number.

What kind of granular shock did you add? Was it a liquid stabilizer or granular and how big were the jugs?

I assume you have not read the proper shock process and the rest of Pool School by now?

Welcome to the forum. :lol: We can help!

1. Yes, go ahead and pick up the chlorine. Actually, get about double that amount. It will not go to waste at all and you may need it.

2. We are always skeptical of pool store results but those appear to be reasonable so let's assume they are correct until Thursday.

3. Calculate and add enough chlorine to get your FC up to 20ppm. I know you can't test for it that high but calc the dosage you need to get there and add it and assume your dosage is correct.

If you do that tomorrow, then I would just sit tight and wait on your test kit so you can post some numbers we all have confidence in.

4. Read and re-read the article in Pool School on the Shock process. You will need to follow that process carefully to get your pool crystal clear.

Are you running your pump 24/7? What is your psi? Have you cleaned the cartridge lately?

Bringing your FC to 20 will likely show some improvement in your pool water but consider it a stop-gap measure until we can get you shocking in earnest on Thursday.

Thanks for the quick response. My PSI is about 13. I cleaned it Friday before I did the clarifier but was planning on cleaning again tonight. I have been running my pump 24/7 since I opened it.

So you are saying go ahead and calculate the chlorine using my current reading and the pool calculator to get it to 20 right?

What happens once I get it clear? How do I get the chlorine level back down? Just curious. I have read the pool school but there is so much info my head is in overload right now.

Appreciate all the great feedback already.

Yes, you have it right. The chlorine will drop back down within days if the SWG is off and you don't add any manually. Safe to swim up to shock level anyway so don't worry much about "getting it down" before your party. A little extra chlorine before a party is a good thing anyway!

Yes, turn the SWG off.

No, it will not hurt the liner if you keep to the recommended shock levels and slowly pour the bleach in front of a return jet.

What strength of bleach are you using? I do not get 600 oz to raise 27,000 gallons from 10 to 20ppm.

Well, you can use the SWG to help keep your FC at shock level, once you reach it with liquid. No, your liner will be fine. You turn the SWG off when doing the Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test.
How did you get 600 oz? That's way way way off...

Also I noticed that clorox is 8.75 % bleach. Does that matter? I used the effects of adding chemicals at the bottom of the calculator. It says that 600 oz of 6% bleach will raise it 11. Am I using the calculator wrong? I plugged in my Current FC and CYA and hit calculate then went down to the bottom and looked to see how much would get it up 11.

You plug in your gallons at the top. Your current test results in the "now" column and your shock level in the "Target" column. Then hit calculate. You select your bottle size from the drop down menu, and type in your % strength in the box first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For this, it is easier to use the upper portion. Put in your current FC (on the left) and your target (on the right) and it will tell you how much you need ... this also allows you to set the new 8.25%.

ok. I get 415 Oz of 8.75% bleach or 605 oz of 6% bleach. Did I do it correct? Also, do I still run my automatic vac during all this? i have been using the automatic vac continuously since I opened it.

Those are a little different than what I got, but depends on what you input for the volume, and the Now and Target FC values.

You can keep using the vac if you want ...

Ok. I am confused. I put in 9.2 for my FC. 20 for my target and 27,000 gallons. I want to head to walmart tonight because I want to get going on this. Please advise? Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

I had 10 and 20 ... I did not realize you used 9.2. Does not matter as your FC is not likely 9.2 anymore anyway ... it "might" have been then, but that was hours ago.

Oh, and the bleach is 8.25% not 8.75% ... so that too was a little different. Realize that the bottles are 121 oz. You should probably buy at least 8 bottles to get you started.

Wonderful. Thanks so much. I am so excited to have found this site. I really feel like with a little patience I will finally be free of this cloudy pool. Everyone said owning a pool was easy but no one told us about the cloudy water problems you have to deal with especially at opening. I was so mad at our pool lady that opened the pool. She basically said that all they do is put in the start up chemicals and it is up to us to get the water right. She knew we were first time pool owners and just kind of threw us to the wind after she got our money to build the pool. Again, I am so thankful for finding this website. Well, off to Walmart. Will keep you posted and let you know what my levels are once my kit arrives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.