Filter Cartridge turns Orange.

Apr 24, 2013
Buffalo, NY
New 10' by 30" (which is actually about 25 inches of water) with stock Krystal Clear 530 GPH "Type A" cartridge filter pump. It's been 4 days that I've had the pool up. Every day first testing shows Chlorine level at 0 and I'm not putting any in until I can get this problem cleared up. Yet the cartridge is orange at the end of every day. I take it out and replace with another, and rinse the old one out and just recycle them. (Thinking of running them through the dishwasher with no soap, or maybe some baking soda in the soap dispenser.) Not sure that's a good idea though. The water isn't anything but clear though. I got in and walked it to make sure it's not slippery on the bottom and it's not. So what gives here? Any ideas? Should I run the filter 25/7 until it's cleared?

What do I need to do to get rid of this obvious Iron in my city water filled pool?

Take a white cup of some kind and add some of your water to it. Put a good slug of bleach in and see if any iron precipitates.

Unless your water was trucked in a rusty tank, I wouldn't expect extreme iron levels in city water, but you can probably call the utility or check their web site to see a recent water report to get the iron content when it leaves the plant. If there is an iron issue with your water, your local pool stores should know about it and probably can test for it.

The Pool School article on metals in the water pool-school/metal%20stains recommends "Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular)"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.