Light blue cloudy water?

I have a 22,000 gallon inground pool. I have been fighting an algae problem for quite sometime now. Well now the water is a light blueish color, but I can't quite see the bottom of it. I've vacummed, shocked, added yellow out, clarifier, cleaned the filter, and added some stuff call pool aid. I can almost see the bottom in the shallow end. I had my water tested on friday and everything was fine. Can anyone help?

First, welcome to the forum.

From your description, I would guess you have inadequate chlorine levels in your pool.

If you could post a full set of current test results, that would help us all give you much better advice.

Welcome to TFP!

The first step to cleaning up the pool is to stop adding lots of products that you don't need and which will only cause more problems of their own.

Do you have a complete set of water test numbers? Knowing the chemical levels is critical to proper pool care. There is no better investment in your pool you can make than a high quality water test kit. I recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, the Taylor K-2006 is also a good choice.

The answer to cloudy water is chlorine and a little time. You need to bring the chlorine level up to shock level, but to do that you need to know your CYA level and be able to test high chlorine levels, which brings us back to getting a high quality test kit.

bailey3168 said:
As per the results of friday.

PH-7.4
Alkalinity-100
Calcium Hardness-160
Free Available Chlorine-1
Total Available Chlorine-2

The guy at the pool store didn't do the CYA

As Jason said, you need a good test kit so you can stop depending on the ambiguous results from the pool stores

You have inadequate chlorine levels. How much to put in there is in direct relationship to the amount of CYA in your pool. If you'll get another test with the CYA number, we can all help get you the correct amount of chlorine (it'll be a lot so get plenty of Clorox or liquid chlorine....maybe 20 gallons...you wont waste any, don't worry) in your pool and help get your pool sparkling.

Yeah, my guess is it is zero as well. Based on that, bring your FC up to 12-15PPM and HOLD IT THERE until your pool clears. I just posted the same advice in a thread started by "carnochanm" Read the entire thread there...your situations are almost identical and you can follow that for further guidance. Once your water is sparkling, we'll help you keep it that way. :lol:

(Edited by TMQ : changed 155 ppm to 15 ppm !!)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
May, maybe not, if you put a garden hose into the skimmer, or just cycle the pump on and off a couple of times, you might be able to wash the sock fully into the pump strainer basket. Still, pushing the sock in either direction will be easier with a drain king.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.