Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light blue cloudy water?

1. Back To Top    #1

Light blue cloudy water?

I have a 22,000 gallon inground pool. I have been fighting an algae problem for quite sometime now. Well now the water is a light blueish color, but I can't quite see the bottom of it. I've vacummed, shocked, added yellow out, clarifier, cleaned the filter, and added some stuff call pool aid. I can almost see the bottom in the shallow end. I had my water tested on friday and everything was fine. Can anyone help?
    Steven Harrod
    Dayton (Washington Township), Ohio

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    First, welcome to the forum.

From your description, I would guess you have inadequate chlorine levels in your pool.

If you could post a full set of current test results, that would help us all give you much better advice.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Welcome to TFP!

The first step to cleaning up the pool is to stop adding lots of products that you don't need and which will only cause more problems of their own.

Do you have a complete set of water test numbers? Knowing the chemical levels is critical to proper pool care. There is no better investment in your pool you can make than a high quality water test kit. I recommend the TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, the Taylor K-2006 is also a good choice.

The answer to cloudy water is chlorine and a little time. You need to bring the chlorine level up to shock level, but to do that you need to know your CYA level and be able to test high chlorine levels, which brings us back to getting a high quality test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

As per the results of friday.

PH-7.4
    Alkalinity-100
    Calcium Hardness-160
    Free Available Chlorine-1
    Total Available Chlorine-2

The guy at the pool store didn't do the CYA
    Steven Harrod

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by bailey3168
    As per the results of friday.

PH-7.4
    Alkalinity-100
    Calcium Hardness-160
    Free Available Chlorine-1
    Total Available Chlorine-2

The guy at the pool store didn't do the CYA
    As Jason said, you need a good test kit so you can stop depending on the ambiguous results from the pool stores

You have inadequate chlorine levels. How much to put in there is in direct relationship to the amount of CYA in your pool. If you'll get another test with the CYA number, we can all help get you the correct amount of chlorine (it'll be a lot so get plenty of Clorox or liquid chlorine....maybe 20 gallons...you wont waste any, don't worry) in your pool and help get your pool sparkling.
    Dave S. - Forum owner

6. Back To Top    #6

I tested the CYA with an test kit that I have and the black dot never disappeared so I assume the CYA is less than 20 ppm.
    Steven Harrod

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry
    Yeah, my guess is it is zero as well. Based on that, bring your FC up to 12-15PPM and HOLD IT THERE until your pool clears. I just posted the same advice in a thread started by "carnochanm" Read the entire thread there...your situations are almost identical and you can follow that for further guidance. Once your water is sparkling, we'll help you keep it that way.

(Edited by TMQ : changed 155 ppm to 15 ppm !!)
    Dave S. - Forum owner

8. Back To Top    #8

Well I got the stabilizer and bleach. Wish me well. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Steven Harrod

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok I put the stabilizer into the skimmer and one of the socks went into the piping. I guess it has clogged the pipes, because the water won't circulate. What do I need to do to remedy this problem?
    Steven Harrod

10. Back To Top    #10
    Your best bet is to get a drain king, open up the pump skimmer basket, remove the basket, put the drain king into the intake pipe and try to flush the blockage back towards the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Well yesterday while it was still running I saw the sock in the pump skimmer basket, but when I turned it off it sucked the sock back into the line. So do I still need the drain king?
    Steven Harrod

12. Back To Top    #12
    May, maybe not, if you put a garden hose into the skimmer, or just cycle the pump on and off a couple of times, you might be able to wash the sock fully into the pump strainer basket. Still, pushing the sock in either direction will be easier with a drain king.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok. I bought the drain king. I've put it in the skimmer. How long do I let the water run before I should see the sock?
    Steven Harrod

14. Back To Top    #14

Oh yeah, the sock is still full of stabilizer.
    Steven Harrod

15. Back To Top    #15
    If it is working it should only take a minute or two.

16. Back To Top    #16

I would like to thank you'll so much for the advice. My pool is now Sparkling clear. I only have one other question. I have some buildup on my pool where the water line was. How can I get this off?
    Steven Harrod

17. Back To Top    #17
    I don't know what kind of pool you have, it's a vinyl liner or gunite? I thought I read on here someone said "magic eraser" but not sure. What kind of buildup is it?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

18. Back To Top    #18

I have a vinyl liner. It's the algea stuff from when the water level was high and now it's dried up and hard. I think that I will try the magic eraser. Thanks.
    Steven Harrod

19. Back To Top    #19

How can I get stains off of floor and pool walls. I had algea when I opend the pool so I'm thinking that the algea caused the stains? What should I do?
    Steven Harrod

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry
    Can you post a set of test results? Especially CYA?
    Dave S. - Forum owner