Ultra intex 16x48 newbie help with filter pump

Lesroe

May 5, 2013
I'm new here and to my pool. I have the standard pump that came with the pool 1500gph and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System. Should I invest in a better faster stronger pump?

I've read about foam vs sand under pool and going for sand to level and foam on top any details to help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance

Welcome to tfp, Lesroe :wave:

Sand is not really great for leveling since it can washout easily. I would be better to dig down to the lowest solid ground. Then you could use the foam on top of that and put pavers under the legs.

Lesroe said:
I have the standard pump that came with the pool 1500gph and Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System. Should I invest in a better faster stronger pump?
If I could spend your money, I would upgrade to the intex 2650 sand filter. The intex cartridge filters are not worth much, but intex sand filters seem to work pretty well.

Save the money, skip the sand; I wish I had. It will wash out if it's near the edge. I'm still within an inch of being level(barely) but the season hasn't started here yet. I put ¼" foam on top of that, and it still washes out.

DEFINITELY get a better pump/filter. I've not seen a stock Intex yet that was up to the task. The rest of their equipment and their pools seem just fine, but for some reason they put kiddie pool filters in the box. You won't regret the upgrade.

Welcome aboard!

How does the sand filter work I know nothing about them? Does it work with the SWG? Thanks for the advice!! Need lots of help lol. I noticed posts about using the styrofoam padding as well but the husband is worried about it being too hard or brittle

Lesroe said:
How does the sand filter work I know nothing about them? Does it work with the SWG?
A swg will work with any filter type (there are 3 types, cartridges, sand, DE). I would recommend against getting the intex that has the swg built into the the pump/filter since they will never fail at the same time.

Lesroe said:
I noticed posts about using the styrofoam padding as well but the husband is worried about it being too hard or brittle
Works great on my agp. It is definitely not brittle...make sure if you do it to use extruded polystyrene. Our floor has a nice "cushioned" feel compared to compacted sand, but also isn't denting (except where our wedding cake steps are).

Awesome thanks! I already have the SWG so just need to change to the sand filter woohoo! Is the intex brand good?! Do the hoses all fit correctly? I'm no good at modifications wish I was but I'm nope!!

Oh and the wedding cake steps ... I've been looking into something like those and was wondering if ok to use with an intex pool and how well the work etc...any recommendations on where to buy what company set ip etc would be great!! I have parents who would love to swim with the kids but are not too happy about the ladder idea lol

Lesroe said:
Awesome thanks! I already have the SWG so just need to change to the sand filter woohoo! Is the intex brand good?! Do the hoses all fit correctly? I'm no good at modifications wish I was but I'm nope!!
Assuming your swg is and intex, intex to intex should be direct, the problem comes when you want to go intex to something else.

Lesroe said:
Oh and the wedding cake steps ... I've been looking into something like those and was wondering if ok to use with an intex pool and how well the work etc...any recommendations on where to buy what company set ip etc would be great!! I have parents who would love to swim with the kids but are not too happy about the ladder idea lol
I think I have seen in some intex pools on here, seems like they should work. Another style you might look for "more mature" swimmers is the step type with handrails on both sides. I remember someone mentioning lately that they liked the security/safety the two handrails gave better than a single on the wedding cake style. I personally like the wedding cake since it gives some place to hangout and sit, while still allowing people to enter and exit around the sitter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.