Why TA of 60-80 in SWG pool?

jeffbg

Jul 29, 2008
I've read the pool school recommendation on water balance for SWG pools, and it says TA of 60-80 is very important, but does not say why. Can someone explain?

Further, I have a pentair IC-40 SWG, and my salt level ended running a bit high, the SWG complains it is high (but often that reading is wrong relative to the salt strips). Seems to be running okay, but would it run less efficiently with higher salt levels?

Thanks!

- jeff

Higher TA levels cause the PH to rise more quickly. By keeping the TA low you can minimize, or even eliminate, the PH increase. I have added borates, and lowered TA to 50 (only a good idea when using borates), and I haven't had to add acid in over two years. Actually to start the season this year I needed to add a box of borax to raise the PH.

Most brands of SWG automatically compensate for the salt level (as long as it is within the range they can compensate for) and there for don't really care what the salt level is as long as it is in the right general area. I like to raise the salt level a little higher than normal in the spring so it will still be reasonable come fall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.