Help reguarding circulation

May 26, 2008
Charleston, SC
We have been trying the BBB method to get our pool up. The problem is that it only filters for a few minutes when you turn it on. The pump has been running 24/7, we have backwashed, cleaned the filter and the results are the same- after a few minutes, water just quits moving.

Help please? We don't know if the filter is bad or the pump. The equipment was put in place with the pool when the pool was built about 12 years ago by the original owner.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

You probably need to open up the filter and do a through cleaning of the grids/fingers, particularly if that hasn't been done in a long time. It could be the pump, but that seems much less likely.

When you say the flow rate stops, does it reduce in flow or actually stop (i.e. no flow at all)? Have your checked all of the returns and is the low/stopped flow the same in all?

Also, how old is the filter and pressure guage?

With just a 1 PSI rise, it is unlikely that the flow rate is stopped or even that much lower. If you can feel a measurable change in the flow rate, then perhaps your filter guage has a problem as well.

If the flow has actually stopped, then the pressure guage should read well over 30 PSI.

Your situation sounds almost exactly to the one I just went through!

The pressure reading moved very little on the gauge, but my flow would decrease to almost nothing after running the pump for a little while and my filter was not clogged at all. For me, it turned out that the returns were clogged with old DE. I recommend you get a Drain King and try blowing out your returns. it's only about $10 and should probably be a part of any pool owner's arsenal of weapons. It's pretty clear your have a flow interruption somewhere!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A drain king is a cloth doohicky <--(technical name) you attach to a garden hose. You push it into your pipe. When you turn the water on, the cloth expands closing off that end of the pipe and forcing water out the other end. It also comes in a rubber model.

You can get them at hardware stores, pool stores and home centers in the plumbing area.

Sure, trying to flush out the return is a good place to start. You want to turn off the pump and run the flow from the drain king in the opposite direction from normal flow. You can try the returns and also the intake pipe that should be inside the pump strainer basket area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.