Realistically, How much should a DIY IG cost.

May 3, 2013
I plan on doing most all the work myself and that includes evcavation and pouring the concrete. I'm looking at an 18' x 36' or 20' x 40' vinyl IG. I think I could do it for less than $15K. Am I way off here? Roughly, how long should it take? Any suggestions or feedback from DIY'ers would be great. My wife thinks we should go with an AG because they are less money but the pictures she shows me of AG's are all decked in. With all that decking the cost almost equals out.

I think $15k is reasonable. I am hoping to come in around $15k for an 18x36. I hired out the excavation but we are doing the rest. Electrical, we have a friend who is an electrician who has done pools before who will help us there.

About how much was the cost of the excavation work? I have a cousin that is thinking about doing a DIY IG pool project that has been asking my advice on pool stuff (he is not an internet person, lives in the country with no broadband options, just dial up otherwise I would point him here), I am asking because he is a heavy equipment operator and can get the equipment to use on personal projects for free on the weekends.

Thanks Ike

My excavation was $3900 with rock breaking extra. My excavator was the one I used when I built my house a year ago, I found out he did all the excavation for the local pool company so I selected him since he had the experience.

In my personal opinion, I would never attempt to have it dug by anyone who does not have pool experience. While I am sure it can be done, there is a lot to the angles in the hopper. My guy had a special bucket on his machine that would pivot left and right to scrape the all sides without moving. I had initially thought $3900 was expensive, but once I saw what they did I realized they earn their money.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.