Do you sand down the skimmer basket or the lip on the pool?

rock

Apr 26, 2012
Do you sand down the skimmer basket or the lip on the pool deck to fit the baskets back in?
12859786.jpg

Both my baskets are tight in the skimmer, too tight actually, so I'm going to have to sand them down.
The only question is whether to sand down the pool deck or the basket itself.

When this happens to you, which do you sand down?
12859788.jpg

Re: Do you sand down the skimmer basket or the lip on the po

Richard320 said:
Sand the basket

I took your advice and sanded down the lip of the basket (the one at left is sanded; the one at right is untouched):
12861279.jpg

The basket now fits in smoothly, without hassle:
12861280.jpg

I also had a similar problem with the cover, which was so tight it could barely be removed by hand without hurting your fingers:
12861283.jpg

The cover was harder to sand though, because it wasn't a lip; it was a clip:
12861285.jpg

I'm not sure the longevity of adding the gasket sealer, but I used some anyway:
12861286.jpg

The result is that the lid also fits nicely now, without tugging & cursing:
12861287.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
If you have other ideas for why this happens in the first place, and how to resolve it, I'd love to know your solutions.

Based on the fact the skimmer cover and basket "used" to fit, I am forced to conclude that the hole, inexplicably, shrank about 1/32 of an inch or, that the basket (nylon?) and cover absorbed water or something, to make them grow the distance.

Is this possible?
Does this happen to others (or just to me)?
12865611.jpg

Regarding this particular basket, I had run the pumps when there were leaves in the pool, over the winter, and they blew out the bottom of the basket, so I had to replace it.
This blue basket from leslies is a smaller fit, and therefore didn't need any fitting.
I hope it works when I can get the water level high enough to start the equipment again!
14308649623_7eb85d4679_z.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.