Pool Remodel with new skimmer install

Apr 12, 2013
I tried to post earlier on my last posting, but I don't think it posted?

Anyways, I'm renovating my 1979 pool with new skimmer, autofill, vac line, plaster, coping and tile, and paver decking. (15,000 gal, in-ground, gunite, 1hp pump, 300 sq ft Hayward filter, no spa, no heater)

Nothing had been done since my last post, until Friday when the contractor backfilled the pipe trenches with #16 silica sand, and my existing clay soil on top of the sand. Also put the sand and clay under and up a few inches on my new Pentair skimmer body, and watered-in the sand and clay well. Tomorrow the tile and coping guy is to come in and start his work. No mention of when and how they plan to concrete around the skimmer. I'm thinking that the skimmer needs to be secured in place before the tile and coping is done, and I'm not happy with their using the clay which hasn't even dried yet, here in the Las Vegas desert after 48 hours, and has cracked like clay does, all around the skimmer.

I'm thinking the clay needs to be removed around and under the skimmer before they pour concrete, but I know little about concrete, and nothing about skimmer installation except what I have tried to find on-line.

Any advice and skimmer installation info would be appreciated. Also the new skimmer weir doesn't freely open and close, dragging on the skimmer walls. The skimmer is not set perfectly level. Is that a problem? I'm afraid it might be a problem for the paver guy, if not causing the weir problem. Thanks

thanks, that looks like an easy, cheap fix. Now I am concerned about the larger one of the correct installation of the skimmer. The first one they put in 4" too high, so this is their second attempt, and I lost confidence in them. This is a reputable company, been in the plaster business for 100 years. But like a lot of pool companies here in Vegas, they expanded into maintenance and remodels. I failed to notice when I contracted with them that they did not have a pool plumbing license. I'm afraid if the skimmer is not attached well to the beam, it will pull away, and leak. And I still think that needs to be done before the coping and tile; I don't know if there is a County code on new installs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.