too much chlorine?

nthoms

Jul 13, 2012
Colchester, CT
I just opened my pool yesterday and it was a green mess. I have a mesh cover and it`s always a mess when I open it. I added 5 gals of 12.5 liquid shock (sodium Hypochlorite), and 32oz Polyquad 60. I have 22500 gal, vinyl pool.

My question ... did i use too much chlorine? Can I add more Polyquad?

nthoms said:
I just opened my pool yesterday and it was a green mess. I have a mesh cover and it`s always a mess when I open it. I added 5 gals of 12.5 liquid shock (sodium Hypochlorite), and 32oz Polyquad 60. I have 22500 gal, vinyl pool.

My question ... did i use too much chlorine? Can I add more Polyquad?
The answer is maybe, and that's final! :mrgreen:

At the instant you added all that chlorine, you raised FC to about 28. If you have no stabilizer in the pool, yes, that was too high. On the other hand, if the pool was generally chlorinated with pucks, you probably have really high CYA and you may not have raised FC high enough! And if the pool is filled with green sludge, it didn't stay that high very long.

The only way to know is by testing. Test strips are generally useless, and so are most pool store tests. Which leaves it up to you to get your own proper test kit. Pool School is the place to start. Or this sticky thread turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparkling-oasis-t4147.html

Don't add any more polyquat. The money will be better put towards a test kit and more chlorine.

I have the k-2006 FAS-DPD kit. I know how to test the pool ... just have trouble interpreting it :(

I tested it last night:

FC 40
CYA 60
Cal hardness 110
Alk 80
PH 7.3
Salt 2700

I am worries about the FC. My reagents were stored in the cool, dry basement. Could they be off?

Any recommendations for next steps?

nthoms said:
I have the k-2006 FAS-DPD kit. I know how to test the pool ... just have trouble interpreting it :(

I tested it last night:

FC 40
CYA 60
Cal hardness 110
Alk 80
PH 7.3
Salt 2700

I am worries about the FC. My reagents were stored in the cool, dry basement. Could they be off?

Any recommendations for next steps?
If any of the bottles are discolored, then the reagent is bad. Otherwise, they should still be good. If so, those readings aren't too bad. It's just the algae keeping you from swimming.

My recommendation is blindly try to clean the sludge from the bottom, to run the pump nonstop, and check FC every couple hours and when FC dips below 18, add more bleach to get it back to 18. Only when the pool is clear, the CC is less than .5, and the overnight chlorine loss test passes do you worry about the rest of it.

Bookmark http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and enter your pool size at the top. At the bottom, select vinyl, SWG, and troublefreepool levels. Plug in your readings and 18 as your goal and it will tell you how much bleach to add. Ignore everything but FC until the water is clear.

It's all in those links I posted before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.