Howdy from CT

May 5, 2013
Norwich, CT
Hi folks,

Just joined the forum after reading a whole bunch of stuff. My wife and I just bought a house which has an AG pool, and I done went and mussed it up by being an impatient fool, so I'll be asking questions on how to fix my stupidity. I won't be able to post any readings (yet) as the previous owners didn't leave us with any test gear. In addition, I've never owned a pool before, so this should be immensely interesting to learn what all I need to do to get this thang squared away and operating as "maintenance-free" as possible.

Anyway, lots of great information here, look forward to chatting with some of you folks.

I think I got the signature part right, but I wanted to see if you folks had any ideas, since I don't have _any_ of the paperwork for it. So, here's the full rundown:

The pool itself is, I think, a 27' x 42" Hayward. The measurements aren't precise, but they're the best I could muster by myself - I'm not really sure if the pool is a 26' or 27', and I'm not sure if the sidewall is 42 or 48" (never mind that I can't find a manufacturer label anywhere on the thing).

The filter is a Hayward Sand Filter Pro Series S180T with a Hayward Variflow SP714T Valve.

The pump is a Hayward SP1510-Z-1-XB (which I think is a Power-flo LX? couldn't find anything online related to the part number), with a Magnetek 1.0 SPL, 1HP, 60GPM motor.

-Mike-

Welcome to TFP!

Probably a 27 foot. I haven't heard of a 26 before.

You need a test kit first off. Very important to have yourself a good one. We recommend the TF-100 and you can get that at tftestkits.net.

How do you think you messed things up? What does your water look like?

Well, we were taking the cover off, and this putz (me) decided it would be just a spiffy idea to forget to take the scum / debris / water off the top of the cover, thus resulting in contamination of my pool water with green funk / slime, and debris - lots of words were had, and I feel like a complete moron (of course, in this case it's true, but I do try hard not to be one generally speaking).

So, now I've got several things on order, like the K2006 kit, some new tools for the pools (the previous owner decided it would be good to leave us with junk), and so forth. It's not a terrible terrible shade of green (it's quite light), but I cannot see the bottom of the pool, so there's that.

Due to the lack of good pool tools, I can't even think about raking stuff off the bottom of the pool, as the deep pocket net is busted (the frame), as well as the skimmer. Fun times!

Thanks for the heads up on the 27' part, much appreciated.

Could you guys have a look-see in my sig and let me know if the relative quality of equipment there is ok or not? The pool is likely quite old (probably around oh, 15-20 years - actual date is unknown) - just want to know if I might be in for "big-ticket" items soon like pump motors, liner, etc. and should save up for them.

[Edit] - one other thing I forgot to ask - prior to receipt of my kit, is there any way to mitigate the effects of my stupidity by "guessing" how much bleach to add to the water to kill off this algae that's in the pool now from my stupidity? It'll take a few days for the kit to arrive, but if I can partially mitigate the algae while I wait for the kit (or at least prevent the algae from getting worse), I'd like to do that if possible. I was thinking about running to the store and picking up, oh, 8 or so jugs of bleach, and dumping a few in there, run pump, etc. to see if I can clear it up some prior to getting the kit and doing proper BBB adjustments based on test results? Would getting the HTH kit from Walmart be a reasonable substitute in the interim?

-Mike-

Yes, it would at least give us some idea of what you are working with, and give us a way to work around the lack of the K2006. You need to measure the side wall... so we can calculate your gallons. I'm guessing it's 48 - not 42 but we need to know for sure.

I'll go measure it and post an edit to this response for ya - thanks for the information thus far.

-Mike-

[Edit] - yup, it's a 48" sidewall (47" to base of lip). So, if my calcs are right:

pi * 13.5^2 * 4 = 2290.22 cubic feet = 17,130.4 US Gallons.