Chemical levels are all high, help!

May 4, 2013
Hello y'all, in TX waiting for my pool to get warm enough to swim in. This is the 2nd summer for my 12,000 gal pool. The pool school that the builders provided me with was very basic, and the first summer chlorine was all I needed to add. I only have the test strips to work with, but all 4 areas are reading high. The chlorine tabs are fed thru the pump and I have it set on low, so I don't know why that would be high. All the neighbor kids are asking to swim already, and I'm afraid they will get burned by the chemicals. Can anybody tell me where I should start?

Mikentammy said:
Hello y'all, in TX waiting for my pool to get warm enough to swim in. This is the 2nd summer for my 12,000 gal pool. The pool school that the builders provided me with was very basic, and the first summer chlorine was all I needed to add. I only have the test strips to work with, but all 4 areas are reading high. The chlorine tabs are fed thru the pump and I have it set on low, so I don't know why that would be high. All the neighbor kids are asking to swim already, and I'm afraid they will get burned by the chemicals. Can anybody tell me where I should start?

I wouldn't trust the readings off the test strips.

Welcome to TFP!

It is true that you really need a good test kit in your situation. Most people, until they come to us, only have a rudimentary test kit. We advocate the use of service type kits here since they give us all of the answers that we need. And in your case, we do need those numbers to know where to direct you. We recommend either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 test kits. You won't find either in your local pool stores. The TF-100 is the best value and is available only at tftestkits.net. Shipping generally only takes a couple of days to get to you through that website. :goodjob: