Hello from AZ

May 4, 2013
Introducing myself as a new member. I have a 10K gallon salt pool, pebble tech finish, Hayward filter, and Aqua Logic control board. The company that built my pool is no longer in business, so I seek information and help online when I have a problem, which lately is a lot. Looking forward to having a trouble free pool one of these days. :wave:

Welcome!

We may as well get it out there right now: If you're in Arizona, you're going to have higher CH than is considered "ideal." There's a good chance that straight out of the faucet you're pushing the upper limits! So don't stress out on it. The other thing to know is that a proper test kit is essential if you're going to be in charge of things. Pool School has a good comparison and explanation in it.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm learning how to take care of the pool and not making as much headway as I'd like to. I have a high salt/amps reading so looked it up and found the idea of soldering the K1, but dang if I can't even find it. I got brave enough to take the control box apart and look at the circuit boards, but nothing looked "fried" or even slightly odd looking. I changed out both of the fuses on the rare chance it could be one of them causing a problem. I cleaned the salt cell with a combo of muriatic acid and water at 1:4 ratio, but it wasn't showing much of anything even before I started cleaning it, so not much bubbling as when they have a few chunks of stuff in there. I rerun the diagnostics and still show -40.62V and 10.04A and 0900 PPM at 74 degrees. I bought a sump pump and drained more than half the water, replaced it with fresh. Salt test strips show the salt level in the pool is about 2640. The hard water reading is about as high as it goes, muriatic acid is on the low side, but I don't want to add any (wasted in IMHO until the problem is solved) and have been floating a chlorine tab dispenser to keep the water sanitized. Next step is to clean the filter cartridges. I'm no expert on anything and have no idea how my ex handled this type of problem, so I'm going to take another sample to Leslie's and have it tested check all that stuff. I NEED to go to pool school. Probably going to end up having a tech come out this time because I'm having solar installed the end of the week and would really like to have all the problems taken care of. I'm just praying I don't need a replacement motherboard. :p

The way to make headway is to take charge of things, starting with the testing. It's important that you trust the readings and can get them any time you need or want them. Think about it - would you go on a diet and trust the scale at the nutrition store if it gave you two different readings back to back? Wouldn't you prefer to have your own scale at home, where, even if it was a pound off, it was at least consistent and you could see your progress?

Check youtube for how-to videos on filter cleaning.

Solar heat, saltwater chlorinators, all that stuff is great. But what you're really after is clear, sanitary water to go swimming in! So worry about the water quality first. It's a lot easier to stomach the bills for the nifty upgrades if you're actually swimming in the thing!

I've been cleaning the filters and salt cell properly every 3 months for the past 4 years,. Yes, I learned how on Youtube. I test the water every other day (if not more often) and clean the skimmer and drain baskets weekly, so I'm pretty sure the water is clean and sanitary. No green pool for me, thank you. I'd hop in right now if the water was warmer. I just need to get my system working like it's supposed to.