Whats the best barbecue to buy in 2013?

Frank Raff

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2013
East Bethel, MN
I recommend a Primo ceramic grill :-D . I've had a gas grill for years... purchased the Primo XL and built my own table to set it in earlier this Spring. The Primo is OUTSTANDING!!! I've overcooked plenty of food on my gasser that ended up getting thrown; on the Primo, even when I overcook, the food is still moist and very good. The Primo has a higher learning curve but the food is soooo much better. Reversed seared some steak last weekend - best steak I ever made on a grill. Smoked some Baby Back Ribs that fell off the bone before that. Can't recommend it enough. Check out the Primo Grill Forum at http://www.primogrillforum.com/url]; they have a lot of info - support, recipes, etc..

The Weber Genesis is the best grill I have ever owned. I have a NG unit with the side burner. I got the SS model but after a year I purchased the cast iron grates. My brother has the black Weber Genesis and his CI grates cook and season better than the SS grates. If money would have not played into the equation, I would have purchased a TEC infrared grill. I have read that the TEC can reach temperature of above 800 degrees which is great for cooking steaks and pizza.

I can only recommend a BGE ( big green egg). Temps of 800 are attainable, as well as low smoking temps. The only drawback is its charcoal, but with an electric starter it takes about 20 mins to get it ready. The biggest plus is it doesn't wear out like a NG grill. I love mine, And will never go back to cooking on NG or propane.

I have a 2 yo Big Green Egg, a 14 yo Weber genesis gas grill, and a 30 year old weber 22 inch kettle.

I love cooking on the BGE, and except for the lead time to get it rolling is my favorite of the three.
I like the fast turn-on convenience of the genesis for burgers, and hot dogs or other things that aren't worth the time/effort to start the BGE.
I rarely use the Weber kettle any more, but use it in addition to the BGE when having a larger group.

My vote is for a ceramic egg style Kamado Grill. They have tons of versatility and allow you to smoke, grill or even bake!! I bought the Vision Classic from Costco and have been very happy with it.

Below are a few pictures from my Cinco De Mayo ribs!!

33o1x69.jpg

9t1ukj.jpg

Notice the smoke ring...
2ykc938.jpg

I am very happy with my lynx grill. I went with the 42" model with 2 standard burners and one proSear. The lynx prosear is one of the only infrared burners that actually adjust its temp range. You can sear anything from steaks and sea scallops. I suggest you take a look at it when comparing grills.

What's the best barbecue grill to buy? The one that works best for your cooking style. I have a Lynx with ProSear and love it for searing steaks and ahi tuna. When it comes to traditional slow cooked BBQ, I like the offset wood burning smokers.

One general observation concerning gas grills (propane & NG) is that those with more burners provide more flexibility in controlling not only the heat output, but the directness / indirectness of the flame. This allows you to grill a wide variety of items including those requiring direct heat (steaks/burgers) and indirect heat (steamed corn on the cob, veggies, and yes, pizza).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For the money char griller kamado. You can go bge or KJ for 3 times the price but having cooked on both the steel kamado cook just as good. As far as longevity ceramic wins hands down. I got my chargriller on sale over Christmas for $250. I can smoke at 225 for 15 hours or sear at 700. I plan on building mine in a bar I am building under the gazebo.
u8yda8ez.jpg

8 pound butt after smoking for 6 hours.
6edetuhe.jpg

ahy5ytuj.jpg

Here they are finishing off the last 30 on my gasser.
y3egezap.jpg

Yep, the metal kamados are great! I have a Big Steel Keg, which is similar to what Kyle posted above but more expensive...not as much as a ceramic, but more solidly built than the CGK. I wouldn't be without a big stick burner too...but that's not for everyone :crazy:

Obligatory pics

waiting for pizza:

pizza cooked on the keg:

the big one:

Melt In The Sun said:
Yep, the metal kamados are great! I have a Big Steel Keg, which is similar to what Kyle posted above but more expensive...not as much as a ceramic, but more solidly built than the CGK. I wouldn't be without a big stick burner too...but that's not for everyone :crazy:

Obligatory pics

waiting for pizza:

pizza cooked on the keg:

the big one:

Is that a bacon wrapped pork loin or bacon wrapped fatty in the last pic?

Had I ever tried a chimney starter rather than the old 6 bottles of lighter fluid Uncle Gus style (remember Eddie Murphey's Uncle Gys and Aunt Bunny I think her name was?) I would never have bothered with gas all these years. Got a charcoal smoker last year and used a chimney starter for the first time. It doesn't take any longer to start charcoal than it does to heat up a gas grill.

Now I want an old fashion Weber Kettle gril.

Lump charcoal is the way to go too. Pure charcoal with no added chemicals. I do want to try out the Kingsford Competition briquets as they are suppose to have no added chemicals either aside from the binder used to make the briquet from the charcoal powder.

I love my el cheapo grande, 48 bucks from Wallymart on sale last November. So far this year I've done 4 racks of pork ribs (221 method), 5 porkloins, a salmon filet (didn't care for it) and a butterflied whole chicken. It keeps the temp between 220 and 250 with very little effort, but it does burn through lump charcoal quickly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

That question can start a war! :lol:

I am a firm believer of the Egg, but any of the ceramic cookers are the way to go. If you are looking for a single piece of equipment that will do it all, slow quick, quick cook, anything in between they are hands down the best. They last forever (or until you drop something on them) and require little maintenance other than feeding the lump. I have done 30 hour smokes on 1 load of charcoal in the Egg at 200 degrees, and I have done 6 minute steaks. Decide for yourself, but I will never go back to gas!

My set up
photobucket-5853-1343442618542.jpg

2012-10-28_09-41-13_269.jpg

2013-05-04_18-08-14_769.jpg

2012-11-21_15-18-01_145.jpg

I don't know if this is the best bbq or not but...

I simply fill it with pellets, flip a switch, set the temp and come back in a few minutes and cook.

I can sear a steak at over 800 deg.

I can cook cold smoke. I can smoke pulled pork overnight as low as 180 deg.

I can smoke ribs at 260 deg (or whatever temp I want to cook at).

When I am done all I have to do is flip the switch off and after it cools a little bit empty the ash drawer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.