BBB and ammonia

Aug 11, 2012
Hi-
Opening the pool a few days ago.. Was told today that phosphates were high and also a 2 of ammonia. I forgot phosphates were not an issue and bought the phos free and added. UGH! Suggested to add 12 gallons of 12.5% tonight all at once to get rid of ammonia and come back to re test on Monday. I am still new to BBB but feeling I should be doing shock process instead!?

FC-0
TC-.4
CYA assuming none given ammonia issue.

Well... there could still be CYA in there even though you have ammonia. Not likely but possible.

Yes, you should be doing the Shock process, which you technically need to know your CYA level to be sure about... but you do need to do an initial bombing to oxidize the ammonia level... I did not verify the amounts they recommended. You can also replace some of the water to lower the ammonia level - just another option.

At any rate - there are two articles you should read:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/opening-a-pool-to-high-chlorine-demand-ammonia-t6711.htmland
http://www.troublefreepool.com/post56824.html#p56824

and then determine how much liquid you should use for the initial dose.

Edit: Do you have your own test kit? You can purchase an ammonia test kit from a petshop. You don't have to have it - just know your CCs will be very high when you have ammonia present.

Thanks!
I do have the TF-100 kit.

Tested
FC=0
CC=0
CYA=30- I just figured it always went away over the winter!!
PH=7.9
TA=270-always a battle,comes out high from hose
CH=256

So, I am thinking per the calculator I should shock 13-19. I was planning on 20 given the for every 1 of ammonia you need 10 chlorine.

Although, you mentioned I need initial bombing. The pool store recommended the 12 gallons which would take my pool to 65 if i added all of it!

Not sure what to do!

Don't do all of it. Do 20ppm. Use pool calc to determine how much that is. Test in one hour after adding, if not still at shock level, repeat your calculation to get you to 20ppm. Repeat this process till you hold 20ppm and it doesn't drop in an hour. When you are oxidizing ammonia, it won't hold the FC at first. Keep adding it hourly until it does. It may end up being 12, maybe even 20 gallons, but you don't need to do it all at once and you risk bleaching the liner if you suddenly overshoot the target.

Remember, hit it hard all weekend holding that shock level at 20 until it holds overnight. Once the ammonia is gone you will start to see a dramatic color change and can drop down to a "normal" shock level. Still testing and adding hourly.

Edit: You don't need to do an overnight test tonight. It won't hold tonight, probably won't hold tomorrow night either so don't waste your time doing overnight loss test. lets see what the water and test results look like on Monday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.