First pool test with Taylor K=2006 kit results

May 2, 2013
South Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This morning I did my first test....seems like I have some high readings and don't know how to go about getting them in range....ALSO I now know that I have "some" algae in the pool....but the water is clear, but can see some faint streaks on the sides of the pool and some dead algae floating on the top of the water......I'm guessing the high FC and low CC is killing it off, Right?

FC =8.5
CC =.5
Ph =7.8
TA =140
CH =290
CYA =60

Any guidance on how to go about fixing the readings and getting rid of the algae is greatly appreciated...I am rereading the Pool School documentation again....I have a Leslie's pool store near my home for chemicals that are not the BBB stuff...many thanks, John

Please put your pool and equipment info in your signature. At first glance your numbers look fine for now. With algae on the pool you'll need to shock. When you read pool school, focus on the "How to Shock your Pool" article, and read some of the defeating algae threads. Lower your pH to 7.4 or 7.5 and start the process.

Ya with a CYA of 60 your FC level isn't high at all its right about a good level for "normal" pool days. If you see visible algae you should shock the pool - refer to the CYA chart and read How to Shock Your Pool.

Thank you for the replies.....now a question as I can't find the answer and I don't know how to do it.....the Chlorine/CYA chart says if my CYA is 60 then the target FC is 7 and I presently have 8.5....In addition the shock target for the CYA of 60 is FC of 24. I have a 16100 gallon pool, so how much clorine do I need to get to shock the pool correctly?????

I don't know how to calculate it as I am new and this is my first time...

In addition how do I update my signature so I can enter in my pool specs....Many thanks for all the help, it's appreciated very much....John

Go to User Control Panel, then Update Profile, then Update Signature.

Go to the poolcalculator.com enter your pool gallons. Put your test results in the "now" column and your target of 24 in the "target" column. Enter the type of chlorine you will be using from the drop down menus. Hit calculate. It tells you how much chemical to add.

Play with the calculator till you get the hang of it, post your calculations and we can verify if you are correct before you add.

Yes, you have 8.5. Your target being 7, you still aren't high enough to kill off the algae that's why you need to shock to 24.

Thank you....I will look at it tonight and see about posting the information...I'm looking at shocking the pool Tuesday evening before the sun goes down as I have read that the chlorine works better at first without the sun robbing it of it's strenght through UV light during the night,,,,do you agree? BTW I live in Sunny Florida,,,,Many thanks John

Yes without UV intervention it works much better. Keep in mind once you begin, keep at it, don't skip during the day if you can avoid it. The more often you can test and add the faster the shock process goes.

No prob! :) Its why we are here...

thank you, here is the attachement using the pool calculator...note that I used the clorine to go from 7 to 24 to calculate the amount of clorine needed.....I've learned that you can adjust the size of the jug and then mouse over the new amount once calculated and it will tell you how many jugs and part of a jug that is needed. Hopefully I did this correctly.

I also noted that in the shock document I needed to get my Ph down to 7.4 before shocking......Once this is all completed and everything is in balance, then how often I really do need to shock my pool...seems that if I shock it every week, then I'll have pretty consistant high FC readings.....thanks again for helping me....John

Attachments

• May 4th 13 Pool calculator to shock pool.jpg
    May 4th 13 Pool calculator to shock pool.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 68

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
lawjohn said:
thank you for your comment however I do have a "small" amount of algae I'm trying to get rid of.....any comments are appreciated....I'm new, thanks John
Welcome, John!

Yep, you need to run the shock process. You've figured out how to get the FC up to shock level, don't forget to retest every couple hours and replenish it. It's not just a one-time blast. And brush, brush, brush! Before you run out to buy bleach, check to see if you're set for beer and Motrin. To save myself a lot of typing, I'll just link to the how-to. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

[center:2ecgbob1][youtube:2ecgbob1]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2ecgbob1][/center:2ecgbob1]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.