Wiring for IntelliChlor & pump

afreil

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
Nashville, TN
Is the IntelliChlor supposed to be wired directly to the pump? We had an electrician install the wiring for our new above ground pool last week. He added a cord to the Intellichlor system so that it plugs into the outlet separately from the pump (photo attached). After reading the manual to get everything started with our pool, we found information stating "The power supply must be interconnected with pool pump motor power source. This insures IntelliChlor chlorinator and pool pump will switch on and off together." Do I need to get the electrician back out here? I gave him the manual when he was out here the first time, but apparently he paid no attention to it.

Attachments

• pump wiring.jpg
    pump wiring.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 244
Mine is wired off one leg of the pump, yes. My pump is controlled by a low voltage relay (220V) and on one of the two legs the Intellichlor is connected.

Looking at your setup it looks like the pump and the IC are in the SAME outlet? If so, that should be OK (a 110V pump I guess?) assuming both sides of the outlet are switched together then both pump and IC are always switched together, right?

afreil said:
The pump and IC are not automatically switched on together. They are plugged into two separate outlets. In order to run the pump by itself, I have to unplug the IC.

and in order to run the IC by itself you need to unplug the pump? When you switch off the pump breaker does the IC go off too?
It's surely possible that the two separate outlets are hard wired together, so the IC and pump are - in fact "together".

I suppose the risk here is that the pump gets unplugged and the IC doesn't and the switch is on... that would be bad. I'm at the end of my knowledge here and will bow out what's OK in terms of using plugs in this way. I know it provides a means of disconnect near the appliance which is handy, but in this case you end up with separate means of disconnect for the two items that are supposed to be together...

I just went through this installation process today. After speaking with Pentair, they confirmed that the two should be wired together, which I said, "there's only one knockout on the pump." They told me to try to find a way to junction the two together. What we ultimately ended up doing is disconnecting the power and lock title from the pump, ran that to an outdoor weathertight junction box, and then made a run to the pump and to the power center from there. Now power is sent to both when the switch for the pump is turned on.

It was a bit of a pain, but I can ensure that the SWG is never on unless the pump is, since my memory is failing me more every day to remember to manually turn it off.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.
Since I am almost totally "electrically ignorant", could you try to explain what a "knockout" on the pump is and what is a "lock title"? I'd like to have both the pump and ic40 wired to a timer.
I plan to get the electrician back out here to make these changes but I'd like to educated myself enough to be able to make sure he does what needs to be done this time.

What is normally done is to power both outlets from the output of the timer, or just hardwire the whole thing. The exact details depend on what kind of timer you have, which I can't really see in the picture.

JasonLion said:
What is normally done is to power both outlets from the output of the timer, or just hardwire the whole thing. The exact details depend on what kind of timer you have, which I can't really see in the picture.

That was my guess too - that in fact, both sides of a duplex receptacle run from a common timer switch or that the SWCG is off one leg of a 220V plug and switched together by definition. Without a picture of where it plugs in it is hard to guess. I do think it is not bad to have a plug as means of disconnect? Or... just hardwire it all.

I'm not sure how that setup is non-compliant, but it seems the electrician will explain it or correct it.

Feed the timer and take output of timer to duplex recept. Simple...Good thing about using the plug in is durning the off season its easy to disconnect. Also put some duct seal or silicone around the connector to the pump. You have alot of threads showing and looks rusty. If that connector broke off it will be a pain in the Rear to fix.

What I did was to run the power from my timer to a on /off switch(,that is handy to shut down power when backwashing or when I am cleaning the pool and have to shut down to clean out skimmer basket),then the switch goes to both recepticals and both run at the same time.I most always run both together except when I add salt then I unplug the SWG ,I never unplug the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.