Trying to clean my new green pool

RowdyC

May 4, 2013
Norman, Ok
I'm in a similar situation pool wise, but don't know if I should start a new thread or continue my question here?
Always start your own thread. It prevents hijacking :) :wave: Butterfly
First, I'm new and ignorant to the ways of pools. I too have a high Cya number (Leslie's pool supply tested the water and it was 100+) so I assume continuing to try and shock or add chlorine at this point is meaningless. I stumbled onto TFS yesterday and I've learned a ton already...such as the Leslie's brand of DiChlor (which Ive added 12lbs in the last 4 days) just added more CYA.
Yesterday's pool test from Leslie's was - FC 0, TAC 0.5, PH 7.0, TA 20, CH 180, CYA 100

It appears that few of you experts here trust pool store testing...all the same, CYA is thru the roof. I don't have a legit test kit yet....

My plan - to hook vacuum hose up and sweep while having filter set to waste, so I'm getting gunky water out instead of just water. I'm going to try and get 1/3 - 1/2 of the water drained, then begin to refill. Thoughts? Do's or dont's?

Thank you in advance

You've done some reading and sounds like you have a pretty good understanding :goodjob:

If the CYA is indeed high, you do need to replace water to lower it.

Do yourself a favor and order one of the recommended test kits. The best bang for the buck is the TF100 - see link in my sig.

Once you get some water replaced, you should test again. If TA is really 20, you'll need to address that first. Also, pH should be in the low 7's.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Welcome!

First, you're right, we don't trust store results, and CYA least of all. In case the message hasn't sunk in, you really need your own test kit. For super-high CYA, you might even need to do the dilution method. Don't be surprised if you end up having to do multiple partial drains.

Second, your plan to vacuum to waste is a good one. Lose the sludge and the CYA in one go. Move the vacuum slowly. If you can see to the bottom, move the vacuum at a snail's pace and sneak up on the debris. Let the vacuum suck it in ahead of itself so you don't just stir it up and make a cloudy mess.

This sticky thread and category.php?c=getting_started will be your guide.

A little inspiration: a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html

Thank you both for the reply, input and wisdom.
BF, I'll always start my own thread, thanks.

Ordering a test kit today, so hopefully within a week, I'll have my own results.

I'll post again after the great H2O evacuation.

Hi and Welcome. Keep on eye on the TA. Hopefully with a fresh water dose that number will climb... its extremely low. Edit: Not a huge concern just low TA can cause the PH to fluctuate drastically - I don't want you to be alarmed while testing or shocking to see the numbers all over the place. Once you have your own kit you'll be able to take control of your pool :)

Okay, after draining between 35-50% and refilling, I'm back to within an hour of being able to continue. Should I go ahead and start the pump/filter? Should I test the water first? I just don't want to proceed and do something that will prolong this process.
BTW, I'll have to use the pool store again as my test kit won't be here until Thursday.

Thanks again in advance.

Additional update - Started pump, gave the water an hour to circulate, took a sample to pool store (Leslie's) and got these readings -

FC still 0
PH. 7.0
TA. 60
CYA. 30!! Drain 1/2 the water and CYA drops 70%?? I'm guessing not...kit comes in on Wed.

So using pool calculator, I'm adding soda wash as directed. Tomorrow ill add the directed bleach.

See any major problems?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.