whistling raypak digital heater

Apr 14, 2013
Our raypak whistles fairly loudly after startup.

The noise seems to come from the upper half of heater. Whistling sound changes volume if I lower speed on my intelliflo pump. I have a gas shutoff just before heater. If I partially close valve the sound is almost gone. When I do that the flame height is greatly reduced (and I assume heating capacity also reduced)

Any ideas what could be causing this?

First make sure you aren't bypassing water from the heater thus starving it of water flow. If you have full flow into the unit, then it sounds like a bypass/ unitherm governor issue. It stops making the sound when you lower the gas input because the water isn't being heated as quickly causing it to create steam inside the heat exchanger.

I am well above the minimum flow of 25 gal / minute on the inside of the panel. Flow is very strong as SWG works fine as well. If I lower flow of pump from 1900 rpm to 1100 the flow detector on both SWG and Heater shuts off.

What does the unitherm do?

The unitherm helps regulate the water flow. There is also a baffle inside the header and if this is broken and lodged in place, then you could be bypassing water from the heater straight back into the pool/spa. Flow in the pool will look normal but not enough water going into heater thus creating the whistling sound.

Pool company replaced unitherm
was silent for day and then returned. I opened unitherm plug and reseated the part. Silent again for couple hours and then whistle returned. Seems like unitherm part doesn't want to stay seated..

Can I operate heater without unitherm part?

No, I would not operate the unit without the unitherm. Is it really that loud or annoying? Also, try adjusting the water flow to be slightly less and see if that makes any difference. Might be too much flow. Is there a bypass built into your plumbing by the heater?

In my first posting to your issue I asked if there was enough flow. If you have too much you can have issues. If you don't have enough, you can have issues. Flow is important.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is difficult to diagnose this over the internet. It sounds like this heater is new. If so, keep calling the builder till it is resolved. If that doesn't work, call Raypak for warranty service. Have the serial number handy when you call so you get it properly registered too.

So after 6 weeks of the pool company going back and forth with Raypak, Raypak suggested to replace the baffle with a new plastic baffle design they have. Pool company did the repair yesterday. Whistling is probably half as loud now but still present. Only way to get rid of whistling is to absolutely crank up the pump RPM and then it becomes quite faint. Lower the RPM, the louder the whistle. Crud.

I would expect a bit of a whine when on low RPM as the water is heating faster than it can exit. Typical.

Sorry that you have had this issue but I can assure you, these units are very good and minimal problems. Yours just must be the exception.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.