Esther Williams liner replacement

May 8, 2012
Memphis Tn
I will be installing a liner in my Esther Williams above ground, beaded 18x33x50 soon. Approximately 30” in ground, on one end and 24” on the other.

The liner was ordered last month and it arrived last week. I know that I have some work to do on the pool floor because it has washouts where it had leaks and repairs as well as a low side wall in one place.

My biggest concern is the wall collapsing while the pool is empty.

I plan to wait until the temps are in the high 70’s or higher and no rain,
Any one got any suggestions or ideas before I get started.

Well the temps were right this weekend for changing the liner and most all went well.
With the new liner, skimmer box and return on hand, I pumped water out removed old liner, repaired floor imperfections. Laid out the new liner and it fit the floor fine. The seams fit the floor/wall corner perfectly. Found my end centers then side centers. Got the side walls hung and started adding water and pulling and pushing out the wrinkles towards the walls. The sun started going down and I decided to stop for the day with 3 to 4 inches of water in the pool and no wrinkles on the floor. Finally I can set back and have a cold one which turned into 3 cold ones.
Cold beer equals thinking for me, so I walked around, inside the pool, looking at my first liner install patting myself on the back for a job well done, when I noticed that the walls of the liner seem a bit short.

Before I ordered the liner the salesman told me to measure the wall height from the outside and the length and width from the inside. So I dug down on the outside of the pool wall until I got just below the bottom track. I measured 50 inches for the wall and 18 feet width and 32 feet 9 inches for the length.
So I ordered a 18’x 33’x 50” Ester Williams bead oval liner. The salesman said that the 50” wall is special order and cost $50.00 extra for custom wall height.

Now that I have a few beers in me, my tape measurer reads 47-½” from the bottom seam of the liner, to the top of the bead receiver with 3 to 4 inches of water in the pool
The floor of the liner is made with 3 pieces, 6 feet wide running the length and if I’m not too buzzed on the beer, that equals 18 feet. From that seam to the top of the receiver I should have 50 inches and the same on the other side totaling 100 inches. That total should be 6’+6’+6’+8.333’=26.333 feet, but he best I can figure I have 3.9583’+3.9583’+6’+6’+6’=25.9166 feet. 26.333 minus 25.9166=.4164 feet or 4.9968 inches.

That means that I am about 2.5 inches short on each side for my wall height or that I have to stretch my liner almost 5 inches. Or I’ve had toooooo much to drink

If I had ordered a 48 inch liner, I would try to stretch it more than I already have, or build the cove higher, but I ordered and PAID for a 50 inch liner.
Now I have to wait till Tuesday to call *********.com just to hear them tell me tuff $&#@.
Good thing I can get another six pack before then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.