why liquid chlorine opposed to the 3" tabs?

blownby

Apr 30, 2013
NW Ohio
Just curious:

Cheaper long term? Less harmful effects from the "stuff" in the tabs, etc......
Or even the granular stuff. Is there a link explain this anywhere?

Also thos on BBB method can or do you drip any way. Or do you use something like Penatir Inteelichem or hayward sense & dispense. Or is there a cheaper way to go about this?
FWIW I already have the Pentair Easy touch unit so adding the intellichem is just the cost of the unit at this point.

I have always used tabs in past w/o issue....thru a chlorinator
Now interested in the BBB method.

Thanks,

Trichlor pucks, tabs, sticks, etc. all add both Chlorine and CYA, the Chlorine gets used up, but the CYA continues to build and eventually causes overstabilization of the active Chlorine which leads to algae outbreaks, etc. Those rare people that are using Trichlor and never have a problem tend to be those that have large amounts of water replacement (perhaps backwashing an undersized sand filter very often, lots of rain, etc.) and a short swim season.

This is all covered in more depth in the pool school link in the upper right of all pages here

Ike

p.s. I use a chemical metering pump to add liquid chlorine / bleach as a predetermined rate, when the pool is being used more actively I simply turn up the rate knob a bit, when I see the Chlorine level is getting to the high side of normal during regular testing I turn it down a bit. This may sound awkward, but it really only needs frequent (1 or 2 times per week) adjustment during the first few weeks and the last few weeks of the swim season, for the majority of the warm months I may need to tweak it once per month)

nice. any links to the type of doser setup you have....

Kind of like my saltwater tank! I have peristillic pumps that dose ~ 300ml a day of Alkalinity and calcium to the tank, and I check weekly and then just manually add the extra needed.

I'd love to setup a simple way to automatically drip/add chlorine and then just manually add some extra as needed. Also where do you add the chlorine as I'd imagine you can't add it to the plumbing due to pressure?

I have always used tabs in past w/o issue....thru a chlorinator
Now interested in the BBB method.

Well, as Isaac mentioned, maybe you are one of the ones with the perfect storm to be able to use the tabs successfully.

As an aside, if you switch (from tabs which are acidic) you will not be monitoring to raise your TA and pH, but will be using Muriatic Acid to lower pH. Having the waterfall will also cause a pH rise.

aiannar974 said:
With all the problems with CYA buildup when using trichlor, i don't understand why they just dont make it stabilizer free. Is it marketing or does it not hold up.

Anthony
It doesn't hold up. The chemistry doesn't work. If someone can invent a chlorine tab that doesn't contain calcium or CYA, they'll be a multimillionaire from the users of this board alone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.