Backwashing pool

Jarodnaaron

LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
My pool was recently opened by the pool company. i am a newbie( the pool came with the house)and plan to do my own maintainace. I noticed that after a day or so the water was sluggish coming out of the return. i have been told that i need to backwash. I have a Pentair FNS plus filter which requires 6 lbs of De.

1. After I perform the backwash rinse cycles, do I have to release air from the air valve of the filter?

2. Can you add the De directly to the skimmer or do you have to mix the DE with water and the pour it in the skimmer?

There is an article in the further reading section of Pool School called Use and care of DE filters that will tell you what you need to know.

Basically,
1 yes
2 I prefer to mix with water

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You shouldn't get any air in it but you could always check. Just remember when you backwash you don't get all the DE out. Usually there's about 20 percent left so add accordingly.

You can put it in right at the skimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if I'm brief.

When you put it back to filter (or rinse) just do a check on the air valve right before you add the DE. Should not really be much, but may as well check.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.