Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of bug is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What kind of bug is this?

Just saw these little guys in the pool today. Never seen them before and they seem to live long out of the water too... Do I need to look at killing these little guys or will nature rid me of these guys in due time? Are they of any threats to us?

20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

2. Back To Top    #2

It looks like some sort of water boatman. If I remember correctly they are hard to get rid of too. I don't remember how they had to do it. I think it took an unbelievable amount of chlorine.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

3. Back To Top    #3
    These critters are called "water boatman" I believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_boatman
    [i][color=#BF0040]27' x 52"....1.5 HP hayward pump 200lb sand filter.....finally building our deck :)

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, you guys are fast! Where do they come from and will they die off in time?
    20k Gunite/Prism Blue-Pebblesheen, Pentair Tagelus TA-100D Sand Filter, Heliocol Solar Water Heater, 2 bubblers and 2 waterfalls installed 2007, 3hp IntelliFlo VS Pump 011018 installed 2013, Aquabot Turbo T4 RC and Stenner 45MHP10 w/The Liquidator container installed 2012.
    Antigua Spa by Artesian Spas: 325 gl, 52 jets, 6 hp 2 sp & 6 hp 1 sp, Circulation System 24 Hour Whisper Pure, Ozonator, LED digital lighting, The Artesian Pillowfall installed 2007.
    Retired: 2hp Pentair Whisperflow, Legend Platinum w/booster pump, PH Adjuster

5. Back To Top    #5

Probably fall off of birds. I don't know if they will die off. Do you have alot of them? If you have an infestation of them it could be a problem, although I don't remember exactly how it was solved. I just remember someone put one in a jar and tested chlorine amounts to kill it and it was alot. The discussion took place at the other PoolForum though.
    steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

6. Back To Top    #6
    from what I have read they eat algae. I read about using Bioguard algaecide and keeping your chlorine levels up to prevent algae growth.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_ge ... _in_a_pool
    [i][color=#BF0040]27' x 52"....1.5 HP hayward pump 200lb sand filter.....finally building our deck :)

7. Back To Top    #7
    Didn't we find that borates do them in? Or at least run them off?
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8
    If you use the search feature and just enter "boatman", your thread and three others are there waiting for you!

And they got pix!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!