How I built my own pool - is an interesting site

Buggsw

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 22, 2007
Arizona
I ran across this site and though perhaps some of you would enjoy it. I sure did. Hope it isn't old info for you.

It's a website created by a guy who GC'd his own pool and he tells about his experience and thought process for the decisions he made in desigining and equiping his pool. He had gotten bids for a pool and had even talked to the BYOP people but still thought he could save more by doing it himself - and he did.

Some of the site you can see without registering, some of it you must register. There are actually others who have also shared their pool build experience, as well.

Here's the link: http://www.howibuiltmyownpool.com/index.php

I have visited this site. In fact, I am GCing my own pool. I am doing it a bit differently though, I am doing most of the building myself, not just hiring subs. I have the luxury of having a good friend who used to build pools. I like the site, it has helped me better understand all the different stages of building a pool. I recommend taking a look if you are considering building a pool.

rbielefeld - Way to go! What an experience. One of the other people on his site also did a lot of the work himself. I hope you are documenting your build via journal and pics.

I found it fascinating to read and I have no intention of building a pool. It helps me to understand just how my pool was probably constructed and that makes me feel better, knowing. Reading his thought processes in the decisions he made also helps me in that I have an old pool, approx 26 years old and am going to be having it replastered this winter - so, during that time there are considerations of possibly reworking some things and making some similar decisions.

I will be documenting the entire process and will be starting a build thread soon. I am waiting for the permit from the city. You should have seen the faces of the people in the city building department when I told them I was building my own IG gunite pool. I guess I am the first they have encountered. The head inspector for the city seems to be on my side, so that is a good thing. I think? Should be digging in about a week. Ron

rbielefeld said:
I will be documenting the entire process and will be starting a build thread soon. I am waiting for the permit from the city. You should have seen the faces of the people in the city building department when I told them I was building my own IG gunite pool. I guess I am the first they have encountered. The head inspector for the city seems to be on my side, so that is a good thing. I think? Should be digging in about a week. Ron

Oh, good! I look forward to seeing your build thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.