How to protect the pump motor from water?

May 3, 2013
Sarasota,FL
I'm replacing my Sta-Rite Dura-Glass motor. Like the old one, the new one has slots in the housing that I assume are to allow the heat to escape. However, the backwash line off my sand filter empties out right next to the pump. The old motor had a metal cover that did not really fit properly and I am wondering if water got into the pump and caused it to fail. (It made horrible sounds for months and then finally seized up) So, how do I protect the motor from water? Should I try to put some sort of partition between the motor and backwash area? Or should I extend the pipe underground and run it out somewhere else? I'm in Florida and there's bound to be lots of rain in the summer. So, I also want to protect the motor from that. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Jolene

You might consider one of these. It says Pentair (which uses A.O. Smith/Century motors) but I'm sure you can get it onto most motors with a little creativity.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Rainbow-R221016-Motor-Cover/dp/B0040RHM32

21Qlj8KzT5L.jpg

I'm with Linen - extend the backwash pipe so it exits well away from your pump (and drains to a lower elevation). If that is done , and your pump doesn't otherwise get flooded, you should be fine, even with it out in the weather without a "cover" on it. My pump sits out in the weather while it's pool season, and I take it off / put it away when the pool is closed.

We actually have one of those covers like Durk suggested, but it doesn't fit properly. Even if it did, I'm not sure it could shield the pump from all the backwash spray... I'm definitely leaning toward extending the pipe, just need to figure out where to do so... To get to a lower elevation, it would have to be extended out quite far.

iwant2save26 said:
We actually have one of those covers like Durk suggested, but it doesn't fit properly. Even if it did, I'm not sure it could shield the pump from all the backwash spray... I'm definitely leaning toward extending the pipe, just need to figure out where to do so... To get to a lower elevation, it would have to be extended out quite far.

Have you considered one of those roll-up flexible waste hoses?

image_13458.jpg

They come in rolls up to 200 ft. I only backwash once a year so it is not that much work. I need exactly 50 feet to get it to the other side of the driveway so it goes towards the neighbor I don't like instead of the one I do.

I suggested the cover more for the weather part of your question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.