what's the purpose of a bonding hub?

May 3, 2013
Sarasota,FL
On my old Sta-Rite Dura-Glas motor, there was nothing hooked to the bonding hub on top. It only had the green, black, and white wires that actually went into the back end of the motor. The new motor I am replacing it with also has a bonding hub on top. I am wondering what it is for and if I need to do anything with it?

Jolene

If you have a temporary pool, ie one you could take down each winter and put back up in the spring, then no.

Otherwise, to pump, heater, SWG, and everything metal that gets within 3' horizontally of the water should be connected together with #8 bare copper wire and the wire should also run all the way around the outside of the pool (with specific rules about where it goes). This is done to make certain that everything you might touch from in the water is at the same electrical potential as the water, so there is no way to get a shock.

It's a 12,000 gallon in-ground rectangular pool.

I thought I was doing pretty good on replacing this motor, but I'm obviously not an electrician. So, my pump and filter is probably 10 feet away from the pool, maybe more. Am I understanding your comment right that it only needs to be bonded if it's within 3 foot of the water so I should not need to bond? I'm thinking there would already be a bonding wire somewhere around the pool if it needed it? The pool was installed when the house was built in 1980.

Bonding is required for all in ground pools in most locations. While there are some locations that don't require it, bonding is still a highly recommended safety feature.

The pump, heater, and SWG (or whichever of those you have) need to be bonded regardless of their location.

Do you have a concrete deck, and/or concrete/gunite pool shell? If so, the rebar in the concrete was probably bonded when the pool was built. You might be able to locate the old bonding wire and connect to it. Often there turns out to be a wire coming out of the ground, or only slightly buried, somewhere near the pump.

Yes, I believe our pool shell is gunite. I'll check around in the morning to see if I can find the wire. I'm thinking the patio was extended sometime after the initial construction of the house and pool so I don't know that the pump system is even in the same place that it was when the house was built....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.