Was Green...now clear...what now

diesel

May 2, 2012
I left for Vegas last Friday, clear pool with normal amount of chlorine in the pool

I came home from Vegas after a windy weekend, to a green pool. The water was clear and I could see the bottom, but it was green.

I learned last year my carribean blue pebbletec will sometimes appear green, but this wasn't the case.

So I went to store, 6 gallons of liquid Chlorine and 2 bags of shock, it's back to clear. I have been brushing it and running the filter non stop.

So, I needed chlorine tabs, so I went to leslies and got a 35 pound bucket. I had them test my water and here are the results. Mind you I just added 2 gallons of chlorine today at 2:20

FAC: 5 (the lady said it was higher)
TAC: 5 (The lady said it was hight)
Calcium Hardness 200
CYA: 99
Total Alkalinity: 90
ph: 8.0 (she said this was going to be off because of all the chlorine.
Cooper 0
Iron 0
Total Dissolved Solids 1900
Phosphates 300

She recommended that I purchase some phosphate stuff, which was expensive. She also said I shouldn't just toss the chlorine tabs by the drain and in the skimmer (I did this when I was a kid for 25 years or so when we had an inground pool)

So, I have the leslie's basic pool test kit (Bromine/FC and PH), a 35 pound bucket of chlorine, a vaccuum, brush and net. I have limited funds. I have some HTH PH Minus (left by previous home owner) and some leslies chlorine neutralizer (from previous owner)

So, what should I do to keep it clear? It was clear last summer and I really ever did was just add a couple tabs when they were about dissolved.

Thoughts?

I would start by reading pool school and get my own test kit. Preferably the tf100. The store results are usually wrong. They like to sell you chem's.

Put your pool specs in your sig. That will help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry if I'm brief.

I agree. You need a better test kit ... at this point you have no way of knowing how high your FC really is. See link in my signature fit the ones we recommend ... You will likely have to order it.

And read Pool School ... a few times through and you will understand more than any of the pool store employees.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Btw, if your CYA is indeed that high (or likely higher), you need to replace a lot of water to get your pool manageable.

Right now you need to keep the FC above at least 7ppm ... does your kit go that high ... nope, that is why you need the FAS-DPD test.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

You need your own test kit and to stop using the tabs. They add CYA, which in your case is already way too high. You could return the 35 pound bucket of tabs, because you should be using bleach for chlorine. When you get your own test kit, perform the CYA test using 1/2 tap water and 1/2 pool water. That way you will have a better idea of your CYA. I can almost guarantee you will need to replace 50% of your water, but pool store tests (especially CYA) tend to be very inaccurate. Also no need for the Phosfree.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.