Mustard Algae or Pollen?

May 1, 2013
Collierville, TN
Split by moderator from HERE. Best to have your own thread containing your specific issues. Thanks, jblizzle

Newb here and I have been reading up on this. I acquired a house with a pool midsummer last year and just continued the schedule from the previous homeowners- trichlor, trichlor, and more trichlor(ARRRRGH). So obviously my cya levels are super high. I did a lot of draining and refilling with rainwater and got it down to around 80ppm(i think- just got the taylor test kit in and will verify idependently if it ever stops raining here). I was told I had mustard algae but had my suspicions if it was just pollen. It grows in direct sun and does not gather on the walls at all. So my question is at 80ppm, I have kept my chlorine at 10 for over a week and it keeps appearing, just less and less. Could it be the sustained chlorine level is slowly killing the algea or is it more realistic that with the constant brushing, it(pollen) is slowly getting filtered out from by my sand?
Sorry if this should be in a different post, just let me know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.