Pool Heater

May 2, 2007
Please Help! I have a hayward H400 Milivolt heater. 4 years old. Pilot light comes on but the unit will not fire??? Spider webs?? How hard is it to remove the burners and clean the unit?? Thanks!!

I don't have your heater, but I also experienced no fire condition. I had to disassemble the gas fitting after the shut off valve/prior to the heater. Open it up to purge the line, fired right up.

jholling said:
Please Help! I have a hayward H400 Milivolt heater. 4 years old. Pilot light comes on but the unit will not fire??? Spider webs?? How hard is it to remove the burners and clean the unit?? Thanks!!

It could be spider webs but it could also be any of the safety devices (pressure switch, hi limit) holding the burners off.

Removing the burners is involved by not difficult. I pull my burners every year to clear spider webs. Takes about an hour.

I have an older (25 years) Laars gas heater, but I have never cleaned any orifices or purged the line. And the heater typically goes most of the winter without being turned on.

What is involved in orifice cleaning and line purging. The previous poster mentioned removing the burners. I think I can do this, but then how do you get the gas flowing through the gas valve?

Titanium

Titanium said:
I have an older (25 years) Laars gas heater, but I have never cleaned any orifices or purged the line. And the heater typically goes most of the winter without being turned on.

What is involved in orifice cleaning and line purging. The previous poster mentioned removing the burners. I think I can do this, but then how do you get the gas flowing through the gas valve?

Titanium

If you decide to pull the burners you can purge the line at the same time. To get the burners out you need to undo the union in the gas line. This is either in the heater to the left of the gas valve or just outside the heater.

On the Laars there are some screws holding the burner assembly in place. If you're lucky someone has already removed them and not bothered to put them back. They can be a pain to get out.

Once the burner assembly is out, you remove each burner. They pull right out. You will see a burner orifice for each burner. They thread out. Once out you can see if there are webs in there. Clean them out and reinstall.

For purging you don't need it flowing through the gas valve. Purging out of the union you have open is usually fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.