Automatic chlorinator or not?

wsop33

Aug 27, 2012
Hey guys and gals i am a new pool owner with the purchase of my new house. I have gotten my pool up and running and it has turned blueish milky color, but by shocking with liquid shock, and runing my filter and brushing and backwashing i am slowly getting there. Has only been 5 days from open and it has went from green to blueish cloud. My main question here is i have an automatic chlorinator hooked into my pump and filter and should i continue to use it with the chlorine tablets once clear?

I have followed this site since i bought my house last October and i am amazed at all of the knowledge i have come across and i will not use anything other than this site. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

wsop33 said:
Hey guys and gals i am a new pool owner with the purchase of my new house. I have gotten my pool up and running and it has turned blueish milky color, but by shocking with liquid shock, and runing my filter and brushing and backwashing i am slowly getting there. Has only been 5 days from open and it has went from green to blueish cloud. My main question here is i have an automatic chlorinator hooked into my pump and filter and should i continue to use it with the chlorine tablets once clear?
No.

Those tablets add CYA constantly. Eventually you have so much stabilizer built up that the chlorine is ineffective. That's why the pool stores recommend a weekly dose of "shock powder." And eventually that isn't enough, so they'll sell you some potent oxidizer or recommend a drain. Which means you need to adjust everything all over again with the fresh water, and they'll be happy to sell you a start up kit....

Study pool school and get one of the recommended test kits and you may never have to deal with green or cloudy water again.
I have followed this site since i bought my house last October and i am amazed at all of the knowledge i have come across and i will not use anything other than this site. Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
By the way, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Welcome! You can use it as long as you are aware of what your CYA level truly is and how that relates to your chlorine levels. Just be aware that managing a CYA level over around 75 or so can be a BEAR if you get an algae bloom. Have you considered one of the test kits recommended here? Most folks here just use one when away on vacation and such.

I have the Tf-100 i have seen so many people on here rave about, when first opened i had a cya of basically 0 and i'm sure thats why the shocked worked so quickly. I do not want to use it as a means of taking care of my chlorine level. With my line of work i can randomly be gone for 3-4 days and would like to be able to use this to get me by until i would return home. I am open ears to anything anyone says on here because like i said i have been following for months and i have seen all the success stories. I also came across liquid shock buy one get 2 free and pretty much bought all they had. Will that work well with my daily dosing of chlorine?

Thanks for the fast replies I am excited my pools finally open and i can start asking questions on here!

wsop33 said:
I have the Tf-100 i have seen so many people on here rave about, when first opened i had a cya of basically 0 and i'm sure thats why the shocked worked so quickly. I do not want to use it as a means of taking care of my chlorine level. With my line of work i can randomly be gone for 3-4 days and would like to be able to use this to get me by until i would return home. I am open ears to anything anyone says on here because like i said i have been following for months and i have seen all the success stories. I also came across liquid shock buy one get 2 free and pretty much bought all they had. Will that work well with my daily dosing of chlorine?

Thanks for the fast replies I am excited my pools finally open and i can start asking questions on here!
Well, why didn't you say so? :-D

You should have 20-30 CYA in there when performing the shock process. Once it's clear and balanced, then consider raising it to 40 or so, which will leave you some breathing room to use the automatic chlorinator and pucks when you're out of town.

I'm a little suspicious of zero CYA in a pool equipped with a puck feeder, though. The huge majority of folks who've been feeding their pool a diet of pucks get here with CYA in triple digits.

So I'll repeat the TFP mantra: Can you post a full set of test results?

It was very low almost zero when i opened the pool up, I have ran it a little bit just to keep some chorine constantly going in there as i am adding liquid shock.

last test i ran this evening

cya-10
f.c. 8
t.c. 16
p.h 7.4
ta 190 ( I know high! gotta get that down a lil with some muritic)
C.H 215

Read the active ingredient on your "liquid shock" bottle. And we recommend a CYA of at lest 30 to keep your FC from burning off so fast.
Are your sure about your FC and "TC" numbers?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Back to your test reswults....

An FC of 8 and TC of 16 doesn't seem right. That would result in CC's of 8 and require you to shock the pool. Please review your tests and Post FC and CC using the FAS/DPD (powder) chlorine test in your kit. How does your water look?

rookie mistake i probably just wrote it down wrong or read it wrong. I will do a full set of tests tonight when i get home. As far as my pool, it is a blueish milky color and i can see down about 12-15 inches. Seems to be getting a little more clear each day

Ok i must have been doing something wrong! What i do not know, but i took my time with testing and i did it twice to make sure they were accurate and this is what i came up with. pool is a blueish still and can see down about a ft. I have a pic but am not sure how to post it to this actual post

ph-7.5
fc- 16
cc-1.5
tc-17.5
Cya- 30-40
ta- 260 (yikes)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.