Safety / Standing Ledges

Dec 3, 2012
Hello Everyone, we are getting ready to pull the trigger and sign a contract for the build on a 20 x 40 inground steel wall vinyl liner pool. We are in Cincinnati, OH so most of the inground pools in this area are of this type.

One option we have been tossing back and forth is a safety ledge approx. 12" wide that run the length of the pool on both sides, basically at the same depth as the shallow end. My thought is this would open up the deep end for more use besides just diving, and would be a nice place to hang out when lots of people are in the pool.

I have been searching and this seems to be a somewhat common feature on gunite pools and a lot of fiberglass pools but I don't see a ton of vinyl pools with this feature. The builder said he would basically excavate the hopper like it was a 18' x 40' pool , but with a 3' over dig on the sides instead of a standard 2', allowing the walls to be set back leaving a 12" ledge.

I am curious if anyone has opinions or personal experiances with a safety ledge on a vinyl liner pool (or how functional they end up being on gunite and fiberglass pools). The only negatives I have come across is that it may throw off some type of automatic cleaners or robots and fitting the liner may be a little trickier.

This site has been a great resource so far and I intend to fully document the build here once things get started.

I have full length vinyl liner steps, they are covered with the tread-Tex version of my liner. Tread tex looks the exact same as the rest of my liner but it is non slip. I highly recommend it for your ledge. If you search for it here you'll find my previous posts with links to it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.