BBB Method is warmer climates.

Mar 16, 2013
This is probably has been discussed but my SO is asking me why are we buying so much bleach when to her Chlorine would end of costing the same amount and less time. Right now in the Central Valley we are averaging 90 degree plus days and I am going through bleach like no other. Please help me to explain why I am using this method. How much bleach do you guys normally burn through during the summer months? It seems like a gallon to a gallon and a 1/2 per week and with the cost of bleach rising I am starting to wonder that Chlorine would of been cheaper. I just checked today and I am down to 1 on my FC and it says to add about 3 qts of bleach. Also I am starting to worry when we leave in a couple of weeks for 4 days what is my pool going to look like.

Thanks

Bleach is chlorine. If you can find liquid chlorine at a pool store cheaper than in bleach, then buy that. Just have to compare what % of chlorine each has (obviously you only need half as much 10% chlorine as 5%). Chlorine in a solid state is always mixed with something else that only accumulates in your pool, so that is why everyone here recommends avoiding pucks etc, or else eventually you'll have to drain and refill your pool because of the accumulation of CYA or calcium.

djscotty14 said:
This is probably has been discussed but my SO is asking me why are we buying so much bleach when to her Chlorine would end of costing the same amount and less time. Right now in the Central Valley we are averaging 90 degree plus days and I am going through bleach like no other. Please help me to explain why I am using this method. How much bleach do you guys normally burn through during the summer months? It seems like a gallon to a gallon and a 1/2 per week and with the cost of bleach rising I am starting to wonder that Chlorine would of been cheaper. I just checked today and I am down to 1 on my FC and it says to add about 3 qts of bleach. Also I am starting to worry when we leave in a couple of weeks for 4 days what is my pool going to look like.

Thanks
I have a 16000 gallon pool. Generally uses about a qt of 12.5% per day. Maybe a quart and a half if its real hot.

If your CYA level is too low, or if you have the beginnings of an algae bloom, you're going to use a whole lot.

A cover will conserve the bleach while you're gone. A diet of trichlor pucks in a floater will also keep it clear while you're gone.

djscotty14 said:

Thanks

Here in Thailand it is 90 deg every day of the year. I normally add one litre (2 pints) of 10% liquid chlorine per day. This yields approx 2ppm chlorine in my pool.

We really need to know your pool size to help.

tollgate said:
djscotty14 said:

Thanks

Here in Thailand it is 90 deg every day of the year. I normally add one litre (2 pints) of 10% liquid chlorine per day. This yields approx 2ppm chlorine in my pool.

We really need to know your pool size to help.

My pool is right around 23000 gallons from my rough estimate.

My numbers on Sunday were:

FC 2.5
PH 7.4
CH 240
TA 120

I was trying to get the TA down so I dropped the PH to 7.4 or lower as per the calculator recommendations.

What is your CYA?? That helps to understand how much FC you will need per day. At a current FC of 2.5 I hope you don't have above 30 CYA or you might have something growing in you pool cause excess FC usage

Last year, I lost a daily average of 1.5 - 2 ppm FC between late June through mid-August. Most of the FC loss was due to the Texas summer sun and running with my conservative CYA in the low 30's. That time period coincides with the "sweet spot" combination of the hottest temperatures, longest daylight hours, and highest sun angle. That translated to using between 72 and 96 oz of 6% bleach daily. Once we got into late August, the FC consumption dropped noticeably and after Labor Day, it really began to stabilize. I have had 0 CC's since switching to BBB, so I can rule out any organic gremlins. I'm currently at a CYA of 40, so we'll see what impact that makes this year.

Another thing to be aware of is the freshness of the bleach/liquid chlorine. I didn't see what bleach concentration you are using, but the higher concentrations >= 10% will degrade faster than the lower concentrations. So freshness also plays a role.

As for why we use bleach/liquid chlorine vs. other chlorine types, bleach has the least amount of side effects. In addition to the chlorine, bleach adds a bit of salt - that's it. The salt is harmless. I have been on BBB going on 2 years using bleach as my chlorine source. My pool's salt level has never gone above 1,164 ppm. This is roughly 1/3 of the recommended amount of salt used in SWG pools. It is currently at 950 ppm. Other forms of chlorine add salt but they also add other chemicals that can cause problems in larger amounts. Cal-Hypo adds calcium and dichlor & trichlor add CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
BoDarville said:
Last year, I lost a daily average of 1.5 - 2 ppm FC between late June through mid-August. Most of the FC loss was due to the Texas summer sun and running with my conservative CYA in the low 30's.
Wow, that's a fairly low chlorine loss with that relatively low CYA level. Is your pool in full sun all day long? Is your FC level at a minimum of 2 ppm at all times?

chem geek said:
Is your pool in full sun all day long? Is your FC level at a minimum of 2 ppm at all times?
Yes to both. Looking at my log from last year, the lowest the FC got was 2.5 ppm and that happened once. Outside of that, FC never dropped below 3 ppm. Whenever I had pool parties, I would dose to the upper part of the target FC range for that CYA on the morning of the party (Interesting side note: At one of my pool parties, a guest asked me if I had any chlorine in the pool because their eyes were not irritated and another thought it was a SWG pool). Of course, my FC loss after a pool party was a bit greater than my daily average, but I would test after the party, run the pump longer than I normally do, and dosed up to the mid to upper part of the FC range just to be on the safe side.

During the swim season, I test daily using the TF-100 FAS-DPD test. Went through all of last season with no CC's. I also ran the OCLT four times last summer and lost no chlorine at all.

One of the things that probably contributed to these results is that I am militant about many small details such as keeping the pool absolutely free of any debris, cleaning the skimmer and pump baskets of any debris, and the weekly brushing. I even hand trim the grass around the pool patio to minimize any stray grass clippings from getting into the pool. DW would probably use another word to describe my obsession, but "militant" gets the point across :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.