New to the Fourm ! But have a major issue with my pool !

May 2, 2013
Hello, my name is Dave and I joined this forum to hopefullly get some advice on a pool issue that I am currently having. I grew up with swimming pools, my dad had a 30 x 16 oval pool as I was growing up. The pool sat right next to the garage and YES I did dive off of the roof of the garage into the pool! As a parent now, I only cringe at the thought of one of my kids doing the same. I can still hear my mother yelling out the window "David, STOP jumping off the roof into the pool, you are going to hit your head on the bottom and hurt yourself".

We put in a pool around 8 years ago, it is a 24" round Buster Crab above ground pool that I burried. It is an alluminum extruded wall shaped like a stop sign, the panels slid into each other forming the wall of the pool. I ended up taring the outside of the pool as too not have any issues with corrosion with the Aluminum. I also added concrete around the top of the pool esentially making it into a in-ground pool. All of the fittings, plumbing, and equipment are for a in-ground pool. I even built a pool house to contain the Filter and pump.

HERE IS MY ISSUE: Since I live in Michigan I have to winterize the pool each fall. I have been doing it myself since I installed the pool. I lower the water level about 2' below the slimmer and return lines. I blow out all the plumbing, fixtures, filter and pump with a heavy duty shop vac. I also add in red pop into the pump, the slimmer lines and the return lines. I unscrew the bottom drain of the Sand Filter and let all the water drain out. I then cap the return lines so that water can not back up into the system during the winter.

Last year I noticed that I was having to add water into the pool almost every other day, I attributed it to the high heat and evaporation. But after closing the pool and covering with a pool cover - two weeks later all of the water drained out of the pool and the pool cover was resting on the bottom of the pool. I just opened the pool (took the cover off) and don't know where to start. The liner is brand new, just replaced in Oct 2011. this was the 2nd winter with the liner. I suspect a main drain issue but don't know where to start.

Does anyone have any suggestions and better yet know of a reputable Pool Store in Macomb county Michigan, We live in Romeo, Michigan...I have not filled up the pool since taking the cover off, I left several sand bags on the bottom so that the wind will not suck up the liner causing additional damage.. HELP !

Re: New to the Fourm ! But have a major issue with my pool

Sounds like a rather large leak.

You paint a good visual, but I think pictures would help track down the issue. I would start with pictures of the main drain and any other entry and exit points. Surely, one of the trained eyes around here could notice any oddities.

Welcome aboard Dave!! :wave:

Sounds like you're a rather innovative fellow,with all the things you've modified on the pool. If the main drain is indeed the only point of exit start there,but I'd check for rips from the freeze thaw cycle you get up there. As to how you check the main drain try to flow water back into the pool (is the drain just that or is it a return line to filter pump) from the exit/return plumbing and see what happens. With out pictures/engineered drawing of the drain it's tough to diagnose the problem.

Best of Luck

Kirk in Texas :cheers:

OK I have some pictures:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 305.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 305.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 306.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 306.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 307.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 307.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 164

Here are more Pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 308.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 308.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 309.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 309.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 310.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 310.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 164

and more pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 311.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 311.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 312.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 312.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 164
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 313.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 313.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 164

and more pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 314.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 314.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 315.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 315.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 316.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 316.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 163

and more pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 317.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 317.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 318.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 318.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 319.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 319.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 163

and more pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 320.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 320.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 321.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 321.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 322.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 322.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 162

and more pics:

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 323.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 323.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 324.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 324.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 325.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 325.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 162

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

And Finally the last set of pics - sorry for inundateing you with pics...

Attachments

• Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 326.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 326.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 327.jpg
    Pool Pictures 5-2-2012 327.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 160

Welcome to TFP!

The fact that ALL of the water drained out to the bottom tells you that the issue is on the bottom. That's helpful in eliminating leaks in other areas. Since you have a main drain, as others have posted, that is a likely place for problems. Have you noticed any soggy spots around the pool perimeter or anything?

It looks like there's still some water in the bottom.
How much is in there?
Did you add any back or was that in there the whole time?
Is that where it stops leaking?

Basically wherever the water stops leaking out is the level of your leak. I'd start looking around the pool right near the waterline and if it's not there, start looking at the plumbing at that level outside the pool.

No I do not add back any water, that is how it was when I took the cover off. There is roughly 2" of water on the bottom of the pool, the main drain is under water. So by simple deduction then this should be a liner issue around the edge of the pool, there is a blowout on one side underneath the liner, I took a couple of pictures of it but it is filled with water as well. So that then tells me the leak in somewhere else around the edge of the pool. I am planning on cleaning up the pool this weekend, after which I will add some water back in, maybe a foot or two and then see what happens, the best guess is that water leaks out too, and where the water level rests is likely the culprit...

I would like to thank everyone for providing feedback...I hope I find something after cleaning out the pool this weekend. I will provide feedback when I know something...

I had a small leak in the liner of my pool and a piece of trash covered it, masking it until I actually brushed it off and saw the tear. It was an easy patch as I hope yours is. Good luck.

In regards to that blowout under the liner, now that I have the water drained from the pool, What is the best way to repair that blowout? do I simply pry loose the liner bead from the channel and pull back the liner and fill in the blowout with some sand? Also what causes blowouts, I have had several of these in the past. Again the pool is burried in the ground, the bottom of the pool is 100% sand, about 12" of sand base. NOTE: I built this house on farm land, underneath the pool about 1' below the pool is a drain tile, during construction of the pool I placed a purferated corragated 4" drain tube around the base of the outside of the pool and connected it to this drain tile. That being said I would not expect to have any soggy areas around the outside of the pool...

Ok I just got done cleaning out the pool, removed all the water, sand and muck....I hosed down everything, brushed the side walls down and even sucked all the water out of the main drain. I then inspected the liner around the walls of the pool and found NO SIGNS of a puncture, cut, tear or anything that would cause the water to leak ?

I am now dumbfounded as to why all the water leaked out of the pool after winterizing last fall?

ANY Suggestions ?

Is there a hydrostatic relief valve in the main drain. If so check that to make sure it isn't stuck. Check the screws around the nain drain ring for tightness and that they aren't stripped out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support