I too have cloudy water and can't make it go away

May 1, 2013
I opened my pool 18 days ago and it was a green mess. I shocked and brushed and got the pool to a milky white. The pump has run 24/7 since opening. Now the pool is very cloudy. Here are my numbers. I had no FC drop over night.
FC 12
CC 1
CH 500
CYA 110
TC 13

I'm afraid I'm looking at draining about half the water but wanted someone a little more knowledgable to confirm my diagnosis. I have only had my TF100 test kit for 4 days now and most of my numbers have not changed. I have kept FC at shock level. I had leslies pools test my water a few times before I got my kit and they had very different results on a few things than I did. They tested before I shocked They showed CYA at 50 and CH at 280, TA 70, FC 2 ( before I shocked) PH 7.7 and Phospates at 250. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

First - Welcome to TFP! I've been coming here for almost a year now and there are many people that will help you.

I'm sure others will chime in, but you need to verify / do a few things:

1. Verify your CYA level by testing again. If it is 100+, you need to drain and refill according to the pool calculator to get it down to the 40-50 range. With a CYA of 100, you need the FC at 39 to be at proper shock level, which will take a lot of bleach.
2. I feel that you have raised the FC up and it has started to kill off the alge, but your FC is not high enough for your CYA and you will never get the cloudy water clear until you either get the FC way up, or lower the CYA
3. Read "Pool School" in the upper right hand corner.

Welcome! :wave:

Did you achieve your CYA test using a dilution test of 1:1 fresh water/pool water? (If the answer is no test your CYA using the dillution method then double the result to get a more accurate result)

If your CYA is trully 110 that means your shock level is around 44ppm! you need to drain AT LEAST 50% of your pool water to get closer to the 50ppm CYA level desired (presuming your CYA reading is correct) I would be cracking on with the partial drain/refill before continuing the shock process.

Once you have your CYA down your pool will be easier managed. You could also do with testing your supply water to see the numbers and what effect they will have on your pool when refilling.

Thanks for the input. I have verified the CYA by using 1 to 1 pool and tap water. I will get started draining the pool when I get home from work tomorrow. I will test the tap water to get a better idea of how much to drain. I will post when this is completed. Thanks again

beckguys said:
Thanks for the input. I have verified the CYA by using 1 to 1 pool and tap water. I will get started draining the pool when I get home from work tomorrow. I will test the tap water to get a better idea of how much to drain. I will post when this is completed. Thanks again
Tap water will have no CYA. That simplifies the math, huh? :mrgreen:

Do you have ground water in your location? There is concern in areas with high ground water that draining too much water out of your pool can cause the pool to float up through your pool decking.

I've seen some threads where people that are concerned because of high ground water drain from the bottom of their pool are refill with a garden hose at the top, or some do it by draining from one side and filling at the other. Some have even bought a huge tarp and spread it out over the pool, fill water goes on tarp as pool water under tarp is drained.

I don't have high water in my area so no concerns there. I totally drained my pool 2 years ago and retiled the deco trim around the top 6 in. of the pool. Last year I fought Green Algae off and on all year because I was not shocking long enough after I thought I had it under control. The last part of the year with my Dolphin Cleaning robot and proper shock technics I was able to enjoy a clear pool with all the readings in the proper range. I will start draining tomorrow and let you know the results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I drained the pool half way yesterday and refilled it tonight. Here are my new numbers:
FC 5.5
CC .5
CH 320
TA 120
CYA 50

Per the pool calculator I added 396 oz of 8.25% bleach. The pump is running. I'll see what it looks like in the AM. Thanks for everyones input.

I'll try to get some pics up when I get home. My FC is staying at 22 and CYA is 50 if I'm reading it right. The pool is pretty clear. I can easily see the drain at the deep end ( 10' deep). It is not crystal clear though

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.