Water Ground?????

Apr 23, 2013
Hi! We had a new 18 x 33 pool installed and had to have copper wire run all around it, being grounded near the pump per township regulations. Now they say we have to have some sort of clamp attached to a hose and put in the ground - referred to it as water ground. They assured me any pool store would know what I was talking about - well, they didn't. Anybody here know? It doesn't sound difficult, just want to get it down so we can get the inspection finished (and get them off my back). Thanks!!

The term you are needing is "Water Bond". Connecting it to ground is not appropriate. It needs to be connected to the copper wire around the pool. If you are in the US and your township requires it to be grounded, they are misreading the NEC.

Here is the pic of the water ground. . . .a wire attached to the skimmer. Apparently the wire all around the pool and the grounding of the electrical box/filter wasn't enough for an above-ground pool. Anyone heard of such idiocy?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 244
Eww that is not how I'd want mine installed. I have a wire attached to a metal plate that sits in my skimmer, but that plate doesn't block my skimmer lid like that one. And that is required in an AGP, it keeps the water at the same potential as the ground.

Why couldn't you keep it this way and then change it after they leave? That set up looks very odd and problematic when cleaning the skimmer out. I can just imaginge the scenerio... Here hunny, hold this while I maintain the pool! *Hunny looks like this screaming how much bull this is* :rant: :grrrr:

Question for anyone who wants to answer... Why do some require bonding and others don't? My inspector said I don't have to bond a thing on my pool. Is that really and truly okay? I didn't have my other AGP bonded and never had a problem. THANK GOD! I was plugged into a GFCI outlet though.

I agree with John T. The township is misreading the NEC. The wire all around your pool should be connected to all the metal of the framework, and there should be a bonding connection on your pump as well. The "water ground" as your township is calling it should be connected to this network.

What this is intended to do is ensure that there are no potential (voltage) differences between any of the framework, equipment, and water.

For more information, use your favorite search engine with the term "NEC pool water bonding". This may come in handy when you talk to the inspector.

Be sure the device you use is marked UL approved. The pool store where I bought our pool from last year sold us a kit with a brass nipple stamped UL approved, the piping and installed it for $35 bucks.

I also had to tie the copper wire to 4 points on the pool. 1 point to a stainless steel bolt where the pool wall ends meet.

The other three contacts had to be attached to the wall supports... which are isolated at the top and bottom by plastic plates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Casey said:
Why couldn't you keep it this way and then change it after they leave? That set up looks very odd and problematic when cleaning the skimmer out. I can just imaginge the scenerio... Here hunny, hold this while I maintain the pool! *Hunny looks like this screaming how much bull this is* :rant: :grrrr:

Question for anyone who wants to answer... Why do some require bonding and others don't? My inspector said I don't have to bond a thing on my pool. Is that really and truly okay? I didn't have my other AGP bonded and never had a problem. THANK GOD! I was plugged into a GFCI outlet though.
At the old house before this bonding stuff was added, we just had a stake put in the ground with a wire running to the pump connected to it. Now we have the whole deal, including the skimmer plate that doesn't let the basket sit all the way down :twisted:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Casey said:
Question for anyone who wants to answer... Why do some require bonding and others don't? My inspector said I don't have to bond a thing on my pool. Is that really and truly okay?
a) As crazy as it sounds, some municipalities don't consider an aboveground pool a permanent pool and therefore bonding isn't required. Also some consider it to be non-conductive since it's vinyl lined.
b) Okay is a relative term. There are thousands of them built and never bonded. If it were me, I'd bond it anyway.

Casey said:
Question for anyone who wants to answer... Why do some require bonding and others don't?
A lot depends on the code cycle your municipality is on, or weather they even enforce the NEC
Casey said:
My inspector said I don't have to bond a thing on my pool. Is that really and truly okay? I didn't have my other AGP bonded and never had a problem. THANK GOD!
It is real posible that they did not read the NEC code as it applies to above ground pools
Casey said:
I was plugged into a GFCI outlet though.
won't do a thing for you if there are voltage gradients around the pool. The bonding grid, including the water bond, is designed to equalize the voltage potentials in the components that make up the pool, the water, and the ground (dirt) itself. Each one of these can be at a different voltage potential and you do not want to be the conductor between them

Lets say the pool is already installed... can it still be bonded?

Casey said:
Lets say the pool is already installed... can it still be bonded?
Above ground pools are usually done after installation as the pool needs to be up. Inground pools are a bit different as the bonding needs to go in the ground on a lot of the components as well as in the decking material if it is stone or concrete.

OK, had everything done as shown in picture, inspector came out . . . .said he can't slap sticker on cause we are using a 1 hp filter with regular plug as opposed to twist-lock plug (earlier post mentioned that our 1 1/2 hp filter stopped working so we got this one for a replacement). We have a post with two sides, different outlets on either side and BOTH sides have boxes that close over the outlets/plugs.

We either need to get a filter or replace cord on this one for him to slap sticker on. Does this seem like he's trying to tweak us or not???????? Right now, I'm pretty disgusted. Thanks to all for all your help!!!

Lyn

Per NEC 680.22, if your outlet is between 6 and 10 ft from the pool, then the cord must be 3ft (or less) and be a locking type. As I understand it, NEC doesn't specify plug type or cord length requirements for outlets powering pumps that are greater than 10 feet away. I would just do what your inspector wants...it is not really asking that much here.

boysovsumr said:
Right now, I'm pretty disgusted.
I am not trying to rub salt in a wound here...but why are you disgusted? Following code is often required (and a good idea even if it isn't) for pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.