Lots of sand in backwash (not return)

thecrave

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Here's a puzzler from last year, which has reared its ugly head for me upon opening this year.

I have a 20,000 gal in-ground pool.

Hayward S-220T Sand Filter, with Vari-Flo XL valve, all powered by a Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP pump, model SP2807X10.

Last year I was getting progressively more and more sand in backwashes. I removed all the sand to look at the laterals last year, and no cracks or breaks. I NEVER have ANY sand in the pool, which (from reading TFP) would mean a broken lateral.

Today I backwashed on opening and filled a 28 lb kitty litter bucket FULL of sand (after shoveling it from the driveway), from about 30 sec of backwash. I can hear/feel it "blow out" as soon as I start the backwash for the first 2-3 seconds. Solid sand. Then water comes right behind it.

I had problems at the end of last year filtering, not getting the fine stuff (since I'm most likely blowing that out first). I messed around with a sprinkle of DE, but I shouldn't have to. And I shouldn't be losing 30 lbs of sand on every backwash! I've had the house/pool for 3 years, and this did not happen the first year.

Could this be the filter's Vari-Flo valve, or the sand itself?

My local pool store gurus have been no help, they've never heard of this before.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.