when you vaccum a pool what does the filter needto be set to

May 13, 2008
is it backwash? or can you just keep it on filter? if i try backwash or waste i lose to much water too quickly, but i dont think im supposed to leave it on filter either. what is the best setting for vacuuming? thanks

Hey Droid ...

Jason is right ... use the filter setting. One additional thing to watch ... as you vacuum on the filter setting if there is a lot of stuff (dead algae, leaves, pine needles, etc) you'll want to watch your filter pressure. As the filter traps more junk, the pressure will go up and the vac efficiency will go down. Just backwash it then to remove the crud from the filter and your pressures will go back down and the vac will work much better again for you.

Rangerman said:
Hey Droid ...

Jason is right ... use the filter setting. One additional thing to watch ... as you vacuum on the filter setting if there is a lot of stuff (dead algae, leaves, pine needles, etc) you'll want to watch your filter pressure. As the filter traps more junk, the pressure will go up and the vac efficiency will go down. Just backwash it then to remove the crud from the filter and your pressures will go back down and the vac will work much better again for you.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because lately my vacuum hasn't been doing to great. A paper near my filter says to vacuum open the vacuum valve and open the skimmer half way. I try to adjust the skimmer so that the vacuum works well but it really doesn't get much pressure no matter what. I tried backwashing with the vacuum valve open but it still doesn't work very well

I only have 1 skimmer, so I close it half way as per the instructions, it helps but it doesn't if that makes any sense. I think soemthing might be clogged in the pipe :/ any suggestions for how to unblock it?

A drain king, an attachment for a garden hose, is the best way to unblock a pipe. You want to run the drain king flow the opposite direction from normal flow. Turn off the skimmer completely and open the suction line completely. Open the pump strainer basket and remove the basket and insert the drain king into the intake pipe and then turn it on. Hopefully that will blow anything blocking the pipe back towards the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.