Pole for Net or Brush. Which one is best?

mnittler

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 17, 2012
South Texas
I currently have a Pentair adjustable Pole that was furnished by my PB for the pool brush and pool net. It looks fairly heavy duty and has a locking nut. It is very frustrating that when brushing the pool the pole begins to collapse even after tightening it as much as I can. :rant:
What is the best pole you have used? Are some much better than others? I would be willing to get a non-adjustable pole to use to avoid the frustration. I have considered installing a screw to lock the pole but don't know what type of screw to use to not cause any corrosion and not cause any cuts and scrapes to my hands. I have heard that the fiberglass poles cause irritation to your hands while sliding back and forth across your hands.
My pool is 15' Wide X 36' Long so the pole should be able to reach the center drain from the long ends while brushing.
I know someone out there has to of invented a better mousetrap/pole. :party:

ComputerGuyInNOLA said:
I am glad you asked this question because I have the same problem. I would love to know what pole to buy that will last more than six months!

I searched the forums here as well as google, If you're willing to spend the coin, it appears as though "skimlite" is highly regarded after a cursory search.

After going through 2 inexpensive poles in 2 seasons, I finally broke down and got one that cost me about $70.00 ( I can't remember the brand and the label is long gone)...It's a 20 footer, retractable.

It's fiberglass and has held up perfectly for 6 years now. I hate spending money but it was a lesson well learned.

I just drilled a hole through mine and stick a clip in there when it's extended to where I need it to vacuum. The collar seems okay on the pull stroke, it only collapses on pushing. I think I paid 50¢ at the hardware store. It just looks like a big safety pin.

spidey07 said:
Mine's aluminum and extendable. That thing is never going to break or give me trouble. It's the "old school" one.

The really old school didn't extend. Our 1946 model was 2-piece and screwed together like a pool cue. The skimmer frame was solid aluminum and screwed on, too. It was maybe a 3/4" thread on each end. It weighed a ton and lasted almost fifty years until my brother drove the tractor over it. That was back when vac hoses were canvas-covered wire and had copper ball floats to keep from sinking.

Well, I went to Home Depot today to find one of those 1/4" safety pin looking things and while I was there I walked down the screw isle. I saw a bin labeled Aluminum screws and started looking thru it. I found a #10 X 1" self tapping Aluminum sheet metal screw so I bought the package of 2 for 74 cents. Since my pool pole was aluminum, I figured by using an aluminum screw there would be no dissimilar metals to cause corrosion. I got home and took the extension pole apart and marked 8" and re-inserted it into the other half and tightened the lock nut, installed the brush and proceded to brush the pool to check for ideal pole length. I installed the newly acquired #10 X 1" aluminum sheet metal screw right below the lock nut on the top side. (Because it was easy to install the screw on the top side). I then turned the brush over so the screw would be on the bottom and less likely to rub on my hand. I brushed the pool with no worries of the pole collapsing and had great joy that my pool pole problem had been resolved. :whoot: If you can consider brushing the pool a great joy. :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mnittler said:
Well, I went to Home Depot today to find one of those 1/4" safety pin looking things and while I was there I walked down the screw isle. I saw a bin labeled Aluminum screws and started looking thru it. I found a #10 X 1" self tapping Aluminum sheet metal screw so I bought the package of 2 for 74 cents. Since my pool pole was aluminum, I figured by using an aluminum screw there would be no dissimilar metals to cause corrosion. I got home and took the extension pole apart and marked 8" and re-inserted it into the other half and tightened the lock nut, installed the brush and proceded to brush the pool to check for ideal pole length. I installed the newly acquired #10 X 1" aluminum sheet metal screw right below the lock nut on the top side. (Because it was easy to install the screw on the top side). I then turned the brush over so the screw would be on the bottom and less likely to rub on my hand. I brushed the pool with no worries of the pole collapsing and had great joy that my pool pole problem had been resolved. :whoot: If you can consider brushing the pool a great joy. :party:
I like being able to shorten my pole when I use it to skim and brush the spa.

mnittler said:

If you can pull a kid or adult out with the pole you're doing it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.