How often do you test your pool?

How often do you test your pool for chlorine>

• Total voters
Every day or every other day depending on results. pH is pretty rock solid so maybe twice a week. TA about every or every other week. CYA about once a month just to make sure I'm keeping proper FC levels.

When I was a TFP Noob I tested Daily. As I grew more confident and "got to know my pool" I would skip a day. Still added bleach though. As I got to know my pool better, I was able to determine the avg chlorine loss and I either added or knew I could go a day or two between additions. My PH and other numbers were stable so I tested those weekly. I test when every someone is using the pool, cuz you just never know. :shock: :shock:

My pool is often covered, unused for days at a time so I go through little chlorine during that time and know I can get by. I don't recommend this in general - I just know what I'm doing LOL :hammer: .

It's kinda sad really - I'm always in my clients pools but my poor old pool gets ignored. A happy pool is a pool that's used. I gotta find time to make my pool happier this year. :mrgreen:

I am not sure a poll makes sense here. Different pools, number of swimmers, organic load, sun exposure, climate, pool maintainer experience, cya level, pool surface type, and many other factors make each pool different.

Generally, on my pool I test approximately every other day with the OTO/ph test and weekly with the fas-dpd test. I test monthly for TA. I test once a year at the beginning of the season for CH, Borates and Salt(I actually test twice, first right after refill and then about a week after adjusting). There are other times I test some of the above parameters when I have a concern or am "doing an experiment".

I watch my water carefully, and my children are quite aware of when the water is "off" and tell me right away :grrrr:

I agree, but if it was limited to people who never have any water quality issues, and they were grouped into categories based on size, location, and all the other variables listed it could provide interesting data, but that would require a much more detailed info input.

Twice a week for me, but that's because I have a mostly opaque pool cover so only need to add chlorine twice a week as well. My usual daily chlorine consumption is less than 1 ppm FC so I'm typically swinging from 3 to 6 ppm FC or thereabouts (usually with 40 ppm CYA). Some weeks I just add (or have my wife add) the usual amount of chlorine mid-week without testing and test on the weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with Linen. Each pool, pool owner, and circumstances are different and any "average" will be misleading. After 8 years, I test quite a bit less than I did when my pool and testing accurately were both new to me.

For CYA, CH, Ta, Salt, Borates once a month. FC twice a week. My pH has started to settle down in the last 6 months and I test that once a week now. When the wife starts lessons, FC and CC are tested daily, and I'll test the pH and TA more often also.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.