Liner replacement time!

After much work and worry over the Memorial Day weekend, my liner is in and pool is up and running. Only had one instance of liner coming out of track during install and had to pump out about 4 inches of water to get it down so I could put it back in the track (beaded liner). Actually used a plastic spatula like you get with a Foreman grill to help with making sure the bead was back in the track.

I cut in the skimmer (much anxiety over this) with no problem. Return went in without issue also, at least until I started the pump. I have a bit of a leak on the outside at the return. Not really bad, just a couple of drops a minute. Should I go ahead and drain and replace gasket, or will this be ok for a while? My concern is that water is also leaking behind the liner, which would probably not be good?

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Jun 2, 2009
Pool originally installed in July 2009 and had trouble with leak late last Summer. Wound up not being able to repair and have ordered and received a new liner. In addition to the liner, I have also purchased foam cove, bottom cover/pad, and wall foam just for the heckuvit. Now, if I just had time to replace all this I would be OK.

I do have a neighbor who has agreed to help install and he has done 2-3 in his pool over the years so I am fairly confident we can get this done. The big question I have is if I need to do anything else as far as my sand filter, etc. to ensure all is good to go for the season. Have had no problems in the past before the leak as I have followed the BBB method since day one with the pool.

Any helpful hints or ideas on possible gotcha's with this project would be most appreciated!

Edd

Guess with my normal luck, I just assumed the worst case. I can attempt the teflon sealant on the threads. Should I be able to do this without draining the water down below the return?

Thinking I can remove the eyeball and install my plug, then make sure someone holds the part inside the pool while I remove the outer portion and add the sealant. Does this sound like it will work?

If it's only leaking when the pump is running, what makes you think it's the gasket and not the fitting where the plumbing attaches to the wall fitting? If it is leaking behind the fitting and liner I suspect a bad wall fitting. Inspect it carefully. If it's just the threaded plumbing fitting I'd unscrew it and use some teflon paste or silicone caulking to seal it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.