New Pool Owner Needs HELP!

Apr 23, 2013
Hi all,
I am a new pool owner and don't know where to begin. First off, let me say that I learned my lesson the hard way about Pool Stores already. Our pool was installed in December and installer said we shouldn't have to do anything until May. I ordered the TF100 kit and have tried to understand the pool school manual but...... I am not very confident in my readings. My readings this morning were as follows:
FC - 4.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 120
CH - 310
CYA - 20

Where do I start to get these levels right?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

How does the water look?

You are really not in too bad of shape. Is the SWG on? Have you check the salt level?

Really the only thing that appears to need attention is raise the CYA up around the 70-80ppm that we recommend for SWG pools ... but we need to know what the water looks like and whether you need to go through the shock process before you raise the CYA.

Welcome Crystal - You should read the article in Pool School called Water Balance for SWGs. Your CYA is too low-how confident are you of that #?

Your TA is too high but it's not THAT bad... you can gradually lower it with Muratic Acid - There is another article on lowering TA. Your SWG is a source of Aeration. Your TA will cause the PH to drift up past 7.8 (too high) and that's when you add Muratic Acid to lower the PH down to 7.2 Over time, by repeating this process every time your PH reaches 7.8, the TA will drop down in the recommended range of 60-80 because the acid lowers the TA as well.

Other than that that I think you are in good shape.

How does your water look?

:wave: Welcome!

Your numbers don't look too bad! and won't take much to get a hold of. I note you really only need to bring TA/pH down slightly and increase your CYA to the recommended 70-80ppm for SWG Pools, everything though is IMHO safe to swim, TA can be brought down gradually as you see fit, but I really don't see any point in rushing this, it will come down gradually if you control your pH with acid.

CYA can be brought up to the recommended level gradually also, take your time, aim for around 2 weeks to get it to where it needs to be, I would shoot for around 50-60ppm first, then wait to finish it off to 70-80ppm (it's better to aim lower than your target as it's cheaper and easier than partial drains to bring it back down.)

If you have already added CYA recently, give it time to materialise in your water chemistry as it can take upto a week to deliver. Meantime I would just keep your pH in check towards the lower target of 7.5 for your pool.

FC - 4.5 - OK
CC - 0 - OK
PH - 7.8 - OK/High
TA - 120 OK/High
CH - 310 OK
CYA - 20 LOW

pool-school/recommended_levels
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Thanks for the warm welcome Jason

The water looks very clear. I did test the salt this morning but I didn't post because I don't know what the recommended level is. The salt tested at 2500. And yes the SWG is on.

I'm super excited to learn that my numbers are that bad. I was thinking it was bad.

Crystal

CrystalG said:
Thanks for the warm welcome Jason

The water looks very clear. I did test the salt this morning but I didn't post because I don't know what the recommended level is. The salt tested at 2500. And yes the SWG is on.

I'm super excited to learn that my numbers are that bad. I was thinking it was bad.

Crystal
Nope. You can have it fixed up before the weekend if you want.

Add more details to your signature:
what model / size of filter, pump, and SWG? Most SWG want the salt over 3000 ppm ... what does the SWG think the salt level is?

Since the water is clear, I would suggest getting some CYA dissolving in a sock in front of a return with a target of about 50-60 ppm to start. Then check it in a week and adjust up to the 70-80ppm recommendation.

Likely as the CYA become dissolved, you will need to lower the output of the SWG or the pump run time so that FC does not climb.

Sorry about the signature guys. I had re-done it but forgot to press submit.

frustratedpoolmom - I'm not sure of the recommended salt level, I will have to look it up when I get back home.

jblizzle - wow I don't know how to lower the output of the SWG. I think I may need to call the installers back out to give me a class on all the equipment. My husband knows how to do a few things (backwashing and such) but we really don't know how all of this works.

Any suggestions on the best place to purchase the CYA sock?

CrystalG said:
Any suggestions on the best place to purchase the CYA sock?
The rag bin.
I;ll just copy my reply from another thread
Pour it in an orphaned sock or nylon. That's right - nothing special. A sock sock, not some special gimmick the pool store sells. Tie it closed with a string and hang it over the edge of the pool in front of a return jet. Fill one of those empty bleach bottles with water to use as a weight and tie the string to the handle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re Sig:
Still missing the actual pump info and what SWG you have.
The 62 gal flow you state is a specification max for the filter ... it is pretty meaningless in reality.

With some more details about the equipment and some pictures of your equipment pad, we can probably get you straightened out ... but if it is a newer pool and the builder will still come out (with no cost) and can run you through the equipment, then that would not hurt.

CrystalG said:
Will do! Thanks for all the advice and help. I hope to have a perfect pool soon. :cool:
If you're running to the store anyway, you might as well pick up some acid while you're there (Lowes and Home Depot stock the stabilizer and the acid out in the garden section) because your pH is sure to rise in the next week between the SWG and the TA level you have.

Good to know that Home Depot stocks that stuff. I was going to check Home Depot because the closest pool store is Leslie's and I DO NOT want to deal with them again unless I absolutely have to.

Again, thanks to everyone for the input. I look forward to chatting again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.